Network and Storage Protocols

AFF A400 Switched to Switchless and 10GbE to 100GbE conversion

csteiner

I cannot find any actual information or documentation on an exact procedure of how you can migrate from a switched environment (currently connected to a CN1610 using 4 x 10GbE ports per node (slot 2)) to a switchless cluster using e3a and e3b (100GbE connections).

I have created my own instruction, which seems like it might work, but if anyone has done this procedure already and has something better, or can verify what I plan to do that would be great.

This is how I am thinking to do it. I used the switched to switchless document as a reference, but since it is showing examples for like for like (10GbE to 10GbE and 4 ports to 4 ports), it doesn't answer this specific scenario. I want to go from 4 10GbE to 2 100GbE ports)

Here is the meat of the instruction

1. Connect 100GbE cables from node1 port e3a to node2 port e3a and from node1 port e3b to node2 e3b.

2. Verify that ports e3a and e3b are connected

• network port show -port e3a
  • network port show -port e3b

3. Remove ports e3a and e3b from any broadcast domains that are not Cluster

4. Add e3a and e3b to Cluster ipspace and Cluster broadcast domain for each node

• network port broadcast-domain add-ports -ipspace Cluster -broadcast-domain Cluster -ports node1:e3a,node1:e3b,node2:e3a,node2:e3b
  • network port show -ipspace Cluster (you should see all existing cluster ports + e3a and e3b)

5. Verify that auto-revert is enabled on all cluster LIF and enable it if not (don't think this step should be needed, since I will manually be reverting them later

6. Verify that all ports are currently home

• network interface show -vserver Cluster -fields is-home

7. Verify that detection of switchless clusters is enabled

• network options detect-switchless-cluster show
  • network options switchless-cluster show (should currently be false)

Migrate switch 1 connections

8. Temporarily migrate node1_clus1 to port e2d and node2_clus1 to port e2d

• network interface migrate -vserver Cluster -lif node1_clus1 -source-node node1 -destination-node node1 -destination-port e2d
  • network interface migrate -vserver Cluster -lif node1_clus2 -source-node node1 -destination-node node1 -destination-port e2d
  • network interface migrate -vserver Cluster -lif node2_clus1 -source-node node2 -destination-node node2 -destination-port e2d
  • network interface migrate -vserver Cluster -lif node2_clus2 -source-node node2 -destination-node node2 -destination-port e2d
  •  

9. Set node1_clus1 and node2_clus1 to use port 3a

• network interface modify -vserver Cluster -lif node1_clus1 -home-node node1 -home-port e3a
  • network interface revert -vserver Cluster -lif node1_clus1 -home-node node1
  • network interface modify -vserver Cluster -lif node2_clus1 -home-node node2 -home-port e3a
  • network interface revert -vserver Cluster -lif node2_clus1 -home-node node2
  • network interface delete -vserver Cluster -lif node1_clus2 (these should no longer be needed)
  • network interface delete -vserver Cluster -lif node2_clus2 (these should no longer be needed)

10. Remove all ports that were once connected to switch 1 from broadcast-domains

• network port broadcast-domain remove-ports -ipspace Cluster -broadcast-domain Cluster -ports node1:e2a
  • network port broadcast-domain remove-ports -ipspace Cluster -broadcast-domain Cluster -ports node1:e2b
  • network port broadcast-domain remove-ports -ipspace Cluster -broadcast-domain Cluster -ports node2:e2a
  • network port broadcast-domain remove-ports -ipspace Cluster -broadcast-domain Cluster -ports node2:e2b

11. Verify that cluster is still healthy and that new cluster LIFs are functioning

• network options switchless-cluster show (this should now show true)
  • cluster show
  • network interface show -ipspace Cluster
  • network port show -vserver Cluster
  • device-discovery show
  • cluster ping-cluster -node node2

12. Physically disconnect cables attached to switch 1

Migrate switch 2 connections

13. Temporarily migrate node1_clus3 to port e3a and node2_clus3 to port e3a

• network interface migrate -vserver Cluster -lif node1_clus3 -source-node node1 -destination-node node1 -destination-port e3a
  • network interface migrate -vserver Cluster -lif node2_clus3 -source-node node2 -destination-node node2 -destination-port e3a
  • network interface delete -vserver Cluster -lif node2_clus4 (should no longer be needed)
  • network interface delete -vserver Cluster -lif node2_clus4 (should no longer be needed)

14. Change home port for node1_clus3 and node2_clus3 to e3b and revert

• network interface modify -vserver Cluster -lif node1_clus3 -home-node node1 -home-port e3b
  • network interface revert -vserver Cluster -lif node1_clus3 -home-node node1
  • network interface modify -vserver Cluster -lif node2_clus3 -home-node node2 -home-port e3b
  • network interface revert -vserver Cluster -lif node2_clus3 -home-node node2

17. Remove all ports that were connected to switch 2 from Cluster broadcast-domains

• network port broadcast-domain remove-ports -ipspace Cluster -broadcast-domain Cluster -ports node1:e2c
  • network port broadcast-domain remove-ports -ipspace Cluster -broadcast-domain Cluster -ports node1:e2d
  • network port broadcast-domain remove-ports -ipspace Cluster -broadcast-domain Cluster -ports node2:e2c
  • network port broadcast-domain remove-ports -ipspace Cluster -broadcast-domain Cluster -ports node2:e2d

18. Verify that cluster is still healthy

• cluster show
  • network interface show -ipspace Cluster
  • network port show -vserver Cluster
  • device-discovery show
  • cluster ping-cluster -node node2
  • network options switchless-cluster show (should currently be true)

19. Physically disconnect all cables attached to switch 2

20. Rename the cluster LIFs *clus3 to be *clus2

• network interface rename -lif node1_clus3 -newname node1_clus2
  • network interface rename -lif node2_clus3 -newname node2_clus2

Please comment and help me with a sanity check on this.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

hmoubara

Hello,

Since you switching from 4 port to 2 ports, you can migrate the lif hosted on the two extra ports to the other ports so you would have two different cluster network interface on each port and then proceed switching to switchless cluster.

Hope this answer your question.

Thanks 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

hmoubara

Hello,

Check the link below:

https://library.netapp.com/ecm/ecm_download_file/ECMP1157168

Thanks 

csteiner

That is the document that I used as a guide for my instructions. Thanks for adding it...I meant to. Thing is, it still does not explain how to do what I am trying to do. As I mentioned it has examples for 2 x 10GbE ports switched to 2 x 10GbE ports switchless and 4 x 10GbE ports switched to 4 x 10GbE ports switchless. I don't see any instructions for 4 x 10GbE ports switched to 2 x 100GbE switchless.

apat

Just about to do this and finding Netapp documentation not very clear on this transition. Did you follow your instructions in the end? Thanks

hmoubara

Hello,

Since you switching from 4 port to 2 ports, you can migrate the lif hosted on the two extra ports to the other ports so you would have two different cluster network interface on each port and then proceed switching to switchless cluster.

Hope this answer your question.

Thanks 

Public