Network and Storage Protocols

Data Migration From Win2k3 R2 Physical Servers to NetApp vFiler Same Domain

netbackupvm

Hello All

Very new to this type of system and setup, so please bear with me.

I am looking for advice and possible suggestions on a potential issue I have.

Currently, I have a Server, holding 11TB of Data, that also has Enterprise Vault File System Archive configured.

This allows data older than 3 months to be archived. To be honest, its becoming a real problem, and we are moving away from this.

Our Server has an Alias name of Projects where users map drives to this Server.

We are trying to plan a full migration, or possibly, MOVE some Data from the Projects Server to Netapp.

But if I understand correctly, we cannot have 2 alias names on the same Network (Duplicate name exists on the network springs to mind).

At the same time, due to the limitations of unarchiving the FSA Data, we are using up disk space.

The Physical Servers are Windows 2003 R2 x86.

I am wondering if anyone has seen a situation like this, and could offer any possible suggestions that would allow me to move some of the Data to NetApp, but still allow users to work. Unless I am mistaken, I cannot add PROJECTS name on Netapp as an Alias due to the limitations on the Windows Network.

Unless I tell users to map to \\PROJECTSNEW\<Share>, but I was trying to do this, without affecting the 40,000 users!

Any input welcome

Si

2 REPLIES 2

peter_lehmann

Sounds like you could use DFS...?

netbackupvm

Peter

I was thinking the same sort of thing, but was not entirely sure the best way to approach this.

Public