Network and Storage Protocols

FAS8020 stuck in loop, won't boot

thuralwin

Hi All,

My Netapp controller doesn't boot and when I check from console i found following logs. Can you guide me how to solve it?

Starting AUTOBOOT press Ctrl-C to abort...
Loading X86_64/freebsd/image1/kernel:0x100000/9551240 0xa1bd88/3154448 Entry at 0xffffffff8016e160
Loading X86_64/freebsd/image1/platform.ko:0x1000000/778216 0x1198480/717096 0x10be000/44968 0x12475a8/4
Starting program at 0xffffffff8016e160
NetApp Data ONTAP 8.2.1 7-Mode
atkbd: unable to get the current command byte value.

create polling thread
Root mount waiting for: usbus0
Root mount waiting for: usbus0
Copyright (C) 1992-2014 NetApp.
All rights reserved.
WARNING: save_loader_env: fflush /cfcard/env/env failed: No space left on device
md1.uzip: 39168 x 16384 blocks
md2.uzip: 15360 x 16384 blocks
* Press Ctrl-C for Boot Menu. *
ERROR: /var filesystem device(/dev/nvrd1) failed fsck

dump_nvram_varfs: dumping /dev/nvrd1 varfs to ...

dump_nvram_varfs: failed gzip check...

dump_nvram_varfs: dumping /dev/nvrd1 varfs to again...

* ALERT: var file system corruption detected *
* Rebooting to automatically restore /var. *
Unable to save environmental variable bootarg.init.clearvarfsnvram: 7
Unable to delete environmental variable bootarg.init.varfs_restore_in_progress: 5
/etc/rc.d/vmtools: ${$1}: Bad substitution
/etc/rc.d/xinetd: ${$1}: Bad substitution
.: Can't open /etc/rc.conf: No such file or directory
/etc/rc.d/netapp_mgmt: cannot create /var/log/netapp_mgmt.log: No such file or directory
/etc/rc.shutdown: WARNING: write failed (read-only fs?)
Abandoned in-memory /var file system.
umount: unmount of / failed: Invalid argument
Terminated

4 REPLIES 4

chamfer

I assume this system is out of support, otherwise you should contact support.

From the Log "ERROR: /var filesystem device(/dev/nvrd1) failed fsck" I guess that the issues is that the boot device has failed or is corrupted.

You can follow this guide to replace the boot device if you have a spare or replacement https://library.netapp.com/ecm/ecm_download_file/ECMP1199903 

thuralwin

Thank Chamfer for reply.

Do you have any idea about following WARNING? What does it mean? Is it related with boot device fail?

WARNING: save_loader_env: fflush /cfcard/env/env failed: No space left on device

chamfer

@thuralwin if the boot device has failed then a process performing writes would assume there is no space left on the device as the boot device is not able to confirm writes.

DBWannaBe

Is this a production unit?

If not, you could break the boot sequence and reset to factory defaults.  This will delete all data, so don't do this if this is production.

After the disks have been reinitialized, you'll enter a setup mode which will ask you for an IP for the Service Processor and an IP for the cluster management port.  Once those are set, you can hit the webpage for OnTap and finish the setup.

Public