Network and Storage Protocols

SMB2 - Windows Server 2012 - System error 58 has occurred.

HENRIKBERGFORS

Hello,

We are having some problem with a setup.

We have a FAS3220 on Ontap version 8.1.2P4 7-Mode. CIFS is configured with WORKGROUP and Local User Accounts.

The system is have a 10Gb connection direct to a Windows Server 2012,

It has SMB2 enabled. And in the Windows server we have disabled SMB1.

When we try to connect to the CIFS we get:

System error 58 has occurred. The specified server cannot perform the requested operation.

If we enable SMB1 on the Windows Server 2012 it works and we can se that the server access the CIFS share over SMB1.

Do anyone have any clues on why SMB2 fails?

We have tried several fixes for the Windows server reguarding registry tweaks and local policies and different other sollution with no luck.

IPV6 is diabled on the server.

Thanks in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

HENRIKBERGFORS

Hello People,

We did find the problem why it didnt work.

The reason was that we where running CIFS i the filers in WORKGROUP mode. And as it turned out the support for SMB 2.x in WORKGROUP mode didnt come until version 8.2 in ontap.

From Release notes 8.2

"

Support for SMB 2.x authentication with CIFS workgroup mode

Data ONTAP 8.2 and later releases provide support for using SMB2.x authentication with CIFS

workgroup mode. Previously, CIFS workgroup authentication was performed by using SMB 1.0.

For information about CIFS workgroup mode and CIFS authentication, see Data ONTAP File Access and Protocols Management Guide for 7-mode."

We updated the filers to ONTAP 8.2P2 and now it works.

Br

Henrik

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

kodavali

There are few things changed Windows 2012

1. Secure Negotiation - Enable SMB signing and check

2. SID Compression - Applies to the Windows 2012 DCs. Check the article http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2774190

SMB 1.0 will work because these doesn't come into picture when negotiated with SMB 1.0

HENRIKBERGFORS

Hi, thanks for the answer. I was a little short in my description of what we have tried already.

Both things you meantion we have tried but without luck.

Should it work only by enabling cifs.smb2 option in the filer?

What are we missing?

Br

Henrik

HENRYPAN2

Hi kodavali,

Would you please also share the commend to enable SMB 3.0 as well?

What could be the impact once SMB 3.0 enabled?

Thanks in advance & looking forward to hear from you.

Henry

HENRIKBERGFORS

Hi, and thanks for the answer.

I talked to Netapp support technician just before the summer and got the info that SMBv3 is not going to be included in 7-mode only in c-mode.

And according to ms kb SMBv3 is enabled or disabled with SMBv2

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2696547

Notes When you enable or disable SMBv2 in Windows 8 or in Windows Server 2012, SMBv3 is also enabled or disabled. This behavior occurs because these protocols share the same stack.

So we are stuck on using SMBv1 from the win2012 against the CIFS share on the filer.

Br

Henrik

kodavali

SMB 3.0 is not available in 7-mode.

This option should be set.

cifs.smb2.signing.required   off

HENRIKBERGFORS

Hi kodavali,

We have tried that option to without any luck. Same error, when trying to connect to the share from the Win2012 we get the system error 58 has occurred.

I will make a post in the Win forums to, maybe they have any idea.

Br

Henrik

HENRIKBERGFORS

Hello People,

We did find the problem why it didnt work.

The reason was that we where running CIFS i the filers in WORKGROUP mode. And as it turned out the support for SMB 2.x in WORKGROUP mode didnt come until version 8.2 in ontap.

From Release notes 8.2

"

Support for SMB 2.x authentication with CIFS workgroup mode

Data ONTAP 8.2 and later releases provide support for using SMB2.x authentication with CIFS

workgroup mode. Previously, CIFS workgroup authentication was performed by using SMB 1.0.

For information about CIFS workgroup mode and CIFS authentication, see Data ONTAP File Access and Protocols Management Guide for 7-mode."

We updated the filers to ONTAP 8.2P2 and now it works.

Br

Henrik

Public