ONTAP Hardware

Single Command to get Global system Status

aadedipe

Hello All,

I have a requirment to be able to find out how the filer is doing using one command. I've searched high and low and I couldn't find a single command to get overall system status and I'm turning up blank. One thing that has brought around new hope is that after a critical error has been resolved I saw the following message gneerated in the /etc/messages.

22 09:Mon Nov 22 09:00:01 EST [Netapp03: monitor.globalStatus.ok:info]: The system's global status is normal.

Is there a way to poll that specific monitor at will, Using Zapi or some other tool?

TIA

Ayo

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

shane_bradley

Externally the easiest way is via SNMP

root@gremlin ~ $ snmpwalk -v 1 -c public <filer-name> enterprises.789.1.2.2.25.0
SNMPv2-SMI::enterprises.789.1.2.2.25.0 = STRING: "The system's global status is normal. "

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

BrendonHiggins

Hi, welcome to the community

It is a good question and one I have asked in the past.  Filerview has a global traffic light on the 1st page which shows the status http://IP or filername/na_admin/ of the filer, which is how I test.

Hope it helps

Bren

p_vinayagamoorthy

without filer view is there anyway to get the status o/p  . like through command line so that we can make a script for all the filers in the environment

Thanks

PVM

aadedipe

Thanks everyone,

If anything I hope this post is viewed as a possible suggestion for a future addition of a command such as "environment status system" which would gives an overview of the overall system state.

Cheers!

shane_bradley

root@gremlin ~ $ snmpwalk -v 1 -c public <filer-name> enterprises.789.1.2.2.25.0
SNMPv2-SMI::enterprises.789.1.2.2.25.0 = STRING: "The system's global status is normal. "

aadedipe

shane.bradley wrote:

That is perfect. Thanks a lot Shane.

edwardmunro

More to the point, is than an actual command on the filer that will give you the systems global status?  Running an SNMP query ona remote system does not really answer the question.  You might as well simply open filerview and check the global status.

shane_bradley

Short answer is there isnt a command, Maybe someone should request a feature enhancement?

Short of scraping the webpage, using the GUI it pointless from the programatic point of view.

One of the sites i support has 16 FAS clusters and 10 SA clusters so manually checking that via the gui is going to be time consuming.

Time consuming vs

cat filers.txt | while read LINE ; do

snmpwalk -v 1 -c public $line enterprises.789.1.2.2.25.

done

The set that to grep/alert for anything other than "The system's global status is normal" and you've got an automated coarse alerting system for unreported failed drive/full volumes/aggrs or inode messages.

Its not pretty but it is functional.and at the moment the only way i know you can achieve what has requested in an automated fashion.

anudeep

Hi,

did you get the command to check the global system status of filer ...

Public