PowerShell technical questions are regularly asked and answered on the NetApp® Community site. In this month’s Ask the Experts, we provide pointers to information for using PowerShell across the NetApp portfolio: All-Flash FAS (AFF) and FAS systems with ONTAP®, E-Series systems with the SANtricity® OS and SolidFire® systems with Element OS.
- The ONTAP PowerShell module contains over 2000 cmdlets, enabling the storage administration of ONTAP-powered systems via the NetApp Manageability SDK (sometimes referred to as ZAPI).
- The SANtricity PowerShell module contains over 200 cmdlets, enabling the storage administration of NetApp E-Series storage systems and EF-Series all-flash arrays.
- SolidFire PowerShell Tools provide a collection of scripts, functions, and examples for operations such as snapshot scheduling, remote logging, bulk volume tasks, and more.
Where Can I Find NetApp PowerShell Toolkits?
The NetApp PowerShell Toolkit 4.2 unified the majority of NetApp’s PowerShell modules into a single package; it supports ONTAP running on FAS, AFF, commodity hardware – or the cloud – and SANtricity (running on E-Series storage systems and EF-series all-flash arrays).
The unified toolkit provides complete API coverage to ONTAP 9.0 and is backward compatible with previous ONTAP releases as well. It also enables end-to-end automation and storage management for ONTAP Select running on commodity hardware and ONTAP Cloud instances running on a public cloud service. The 4.2 release supports Microsoft Windows Server 2016 in addition to previously supported versions of Windows (Windows Server 2008 R2 and 2012 R2, and Windows 7, 8 and later).
You can download the NetApp Unified Toolkit from the NetApp support site (registration required).
SolidFire PowerShell Tools are available separately via the SolidFire GitHub site.
For help getting started, check out these blog posts and videos:
- NetApp PowerShell Toolkit 101: Getting Started
- NetApp PowerShell Toolkit 101: Managing Volume Snapshots
- Getting Started with E-Series SANtricity PowerShell Toolkit
- SolidFire PowerShell Videos on YouTube
PowerShell-related Sessions at NetApp Insight 2016
If you plan to attend the Insight Conference in Las Vegas (Sept 26-29) or Berlin (Nov 14-17), be sure to check out these sessions:
- 92781-2 - APIs to the Rescue! Solve Complex Problems Quickly (US only)
- 61519-2 - Manage and Automate a Microsoft Windows File Services Environment with PowerShell
- 60760-2 - Integrating Your Application with NetApp SolidFire