AFF

How to convert a FAS to AFF.

xGeox

Hello guys, I am looking for information and what are the bootloader arguments that are needed to convert to the FAS8000 platform to an AFF.

I am not able to find the information from the KB cause recently was migrated and all the information changed.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

andris

@xGeox : Conversion is normally not permitted, unless there was a technical issue (or bug) that has changed the personality.  Open a technical support case to investigate the issue and come up with a mitigation.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

SpindleNinja

There's very few platforms it (was) allowed for and I think it was for only one way too...   I do recall reading that that KB was moved to internal.   see: https://community.netapp.com/t5/FAS-and-V-Series-Storage-Systems-Discussions/Converting-AFF-A300-to-FAS8200/td-p/145607 

Have you reached out to your account team to see if it's an option to convert? Also, why are you needing to do this?

Mjizzini

The environment variable bootarg.init.flash_optimized must be set to true on both nodes in an HA pair of All-Flash Optimized FAS80x0 systems.

How to check and configure the All Flash FAS (AFF) optimized personality on FAS80x0 controllers.

SpindleNinja

That appears to be an internal doc.. 

andris

@xGeox : Conversion is normally not permitted, unless there was a technical issue (or bug) that has changed the personality.  Open a technical support case to investigate the issue and come up with a mitigation.

Ontapforrum

Agree with andris here.

Also, It's not just about changing the 'bootarg.init.flash_optimized' option, the internal KB is available on the Internet (if you are ok to pay for it, strangely). Anyway, the point is not that. There is a whole 'commercial aspect to it' Licensing & Regulation which must be followed and it's up to NetApp.

Internal KB is available here:
https://www.scribd.com/document/375571405/How-to-Check-and-Configure-the-All-Flash-FAS-AFF-Optimized-Personality-on-FAS80x0-Controllers

Public