Active IQ Unified Manager Discussions

A200 Factory reset

SAOhioDatacenter

I'm installing a new AFF A200 SAN and having trouble and to the point that I'm thinking just resetting it and starting over it a faster soltuion that trying to get what's configured working.

There's no data on it, just the initial magement port config, and some of the cluster set up (cluster build, and 1 node joined).

Is there a way to reset the A200 and start again?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

michael_england

The way I've used to fully reset a system is to interrupt the boot process and use option (4) Clean configuration and initalize all disks.  There are two opportunities to press Ctrl-C, the first one will halt the boot entirely, wait for the second one for a special boot menu.  Then option 4.

This can take quite a while as it zeros out all drives.  If they're small it'll be fast but if you've got large SATA drives it can take a while.  You will still keep any SP IP address information but everything else will get removed and put you back to square one.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

SAOhioDatacenter

Thank you everyone for your input - the option 4 reset got me back to where I could start and again and I was able to compete the entire setup and config successfully this time.

AlexDawson

As others have posted, the serial/usb console and option 4 (run on both nodes) will totally reset it, and since it is all flash, it will be quick.

Top of my head, here's what you'd likely want from a simple A200 setup:

- Create one data aggregate per node (active/active), or reassign all partitions to one node and make a single large data aggregate (active/passive), ensuring optimum RAID group size/RAID type

- Apply licenses (if not applied in factory)

- Create subnets for data service and device management

- Create SVMs for data service

- Create LIFs for data access (one per node per SVM for SAN, one per SVM for NAS)

- Create volumes/LUNs

- Setup export-policy/AD connection/SAN igroups for connectivity

- Verify autosupport/ActiveIQ functionality

- Upgrade ONTAP to desired release

Each of these can be undone and redone pretty easily without resetting the system, with the possible exception of aggregate setup. Resetting is a valid option, but I just want you to know it isn't the only option - you can fix/change ONTAP setup pretty easily and safely

michael_england

The way I've used to fully reset a system is to interrupt the boot process and use option (4) Clean configuration and initalize all disks.  There are two opportunities to press Ctrl-C, the first one will halt the boot entirely, wait for the second one for a special boot menu.  Then option 4.

This can take quite a while as it zeros out all drives.  If they're small it'll be fast but if you've got large SATA drives it can take a while.  You will still keep any SP IP address information but everything else will get removed and put you back to square one.

View solution in original post

billyd

I agree with the option 4 for the clean configuration. With the A200 being an All-Flash system, the disk zeroing process will be very fast. Expect the process to be 10-30 minutes, depending on drive size.

Announcements
NetApp on Discord Image

We're on Discord, are you?

Live Chat, Watch Parties, and More!

Explore Banner

Meet Explore, NetApp’s digital sales platform

Engage digitally throughout the sales process, from product discovery to configuration, and handle all your post-purchase needs.

NetApp Insights to Action
I2A Banner
Public