Active IQ Unified Manager Discussions

Can we hard code "Create Volume" command

MAHESH1111111

Hi,

I was trying to create a workflow to "create a volume" in which all the parameters like "Array name", "Aggr Name", "Volume Name", "Volume Size" etc are al hard coded (i.e. i entered the specific values for all thos fields to make sure the workflow is executed and does not prompt for any values before execution) and was getting errors. Just wanted to understand - parameters like Array name /IP, Aggregate name cannot be hardcoded? they should come as selection from the DFM data? Thanks

Regards

Mahesh.P

4 REPLIES 4

madden

HI Mahesh,

Welcome to WFA!  In the parameters of a command you can hard code values but you have to make sure that the parameter type is suitable for something hard coded.

In create volume for example you see that the aggregate parameter requires a reference to an aggregate (in the yellow tooltip and in the green (R) in front of the parameter name):

So for this aggregate parameter you have to provide a reference to an object that you found using a finder (either here, or somewhere earlier in your workflow).  You can however put hardcoded values in the finder.  So for your workflow you probably need to click click the little [...] button in the aggregate parameter field  and then select some criteria (which can be hard coded) to find a reference to an aggregate object.  When you hard code values enclose them in single quotes.

Also check the developer guide that is part of the WFA 2.1 documentation set for more info on how WFA works.

Hope this helps!

Chris Madden

Storage Architect, NetApp EMEA

hill

Awesome response Chris!

I'll add to it slightly.  First, here is a link to the WFA 2.1 Workflow Developer's Guide: LINK

Secondly, Mahesh, I'll make a statement that you should think more in terms of Hard-coding the workflow rather than hard coding the actual command.  Chris has done a great job in outlining how you can 'hard-code' a WFA command inside of a WFA workflow.  The WFA workflow developer's guide should help you with other questions you might have.

Hope this helps,

Kevin.

MAHESH1111111

Thanks Chris, will look into that and let you know how it goes.   Also thanks Kevin for your inputs - this Guide might be very useful, looking forward to gain from it.

IYILMAZ77

Hi Mahesh,

Can you share your "create a volume" workflow with us.

Public