Effective December 3, NetApp adopts Microsoft’s Business-to-Customer (B2C) identity management to simplify and provide secure access to NetApp resources.
For accounts that did not pre-register (prior to Dec 3), access to your NetApp data may take up to 1 hour as your legacy NSS ID is synchronized to the new B2C identity.
To learn more, read the FAQ and watch the video.
Need assistance? Complete this form and select “Registration Issue” as the Feedback Category.

Active IQ Unified Manager Discussions

Feedback: Terrible New SnapMirror Configuration Wizard in OnTAP 9.3's System Manager

TMADOCTHOMAS

I have recently updated one of our clusters to 9.3, and I cannot say enough how frustrating the new SnapMirror configuration wizard is. There are so many problems with it (vs. the previous interface that worked great from at least 2011-today) that I think I will have to go to the command line until or if changes are made. Here are the main issues I have with it:

• Volume Name Suffix REQUIRED - we have never used volume suffixes, but if we use the new GUI we are forced to have one! You cannot continue through the wizard without adding one. I suppose I could add it and then rename the destination volume after it replicates, but what a pain!
  • Defaults Don't Make Sense - default settings are "Mirror and Vault", a built-in protection policy, and an hourly replication schedule. I would never use any of these, and they are different from previous defaults.
  • Critical Options Buried Under "Advanced Options" - the option to change the protection policy and schedule have now been hidden under an "Advanced Options" button, requiring an additional click to change them.

That's it in a nutshell. In particular the first bullet point is grating ... something so basic as giving you the option to not have a suffix is frustrating. I feel like I basically can't use the GUI for the first time since we started using NetApp in 2011. I hope this feedback reaches NetApp developers and would be interested if anyone else agrees or disagrees. Also, does anyone know if there are improvements in 9.4 or 9.5RC1?

0 REPLIES 0
Announcements
NetApp on Discord Image

We're on Discord, are you?

Live Chat, Watch Parties, and More!

Explore Banner

Meet Explore, NetApp’s digital sales platform

Engage digitally throughout the sales process, from product discovery to configuration, and handle all your post-purchase needs.

NetApp Insights to Action
I2A Banner
Public