If you missed the pre-registration for NetApp MS Azure AD B2C, the new login prompt will offer the option to register. Please note that access to your NetApp data may take up to 1 hour.
To learn more, read the FAQ and watch the video.
Need assistance? Complete this form and select “Registration Issue” as the Feedback Category.

Active IQ Unified Manager Discussions

Get-NCVol Returns "Object reference not set to an instance of an object."

coreywanless

Has anyone got this error before when trying to run get-ncvol? the command passes back some of the volumes before failing.

get-ncvol : Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
At line:1 char:1
+ get-ncvol
+ ~~~~~~~~~
+ CategoryInfo : InvalidOperation: (n1fsc1.nas.cat.com:NcController) [Get-NcVol], NullReferenceException
+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : ApiException,DataONTAP.C.PowerShell.SDK.Cmdlets.Volume.GetNcVol

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

coreywanless

Sorry guys, I left you alll hanging on this thread. For me it ended up being that one of the nodes was down. When the node issue was resolved the error went away. I believe the cluster at the time was running 8.2.1, but I could be mistaken. 

Thanks for all your input.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

coreywanless

Sorry guys, I left you alll hanging on this thread. For me it ended up being that one of the nodes was down. When the node issue was resolved the error went away. I believe the cluster at the time was running 8.2.1, but I could be mistaken. 

Thanks for all your input.

View solution in original post

omegazero

I had a similar problem with the clone create applet. It seems like there's a 60 second timeout, after which the applet throws this error. In my case the action was actually completing though, despite the error. I was able to work around the issue similar to this:

$CloneVolume = $Null
$LoopCounter = 0

Get-WFALogger -Info -Message $("--- Creating volume clone $($CloneVolName) of parent volume $($ParentVolname) with backing snapshot $($ParentVolName).")

Try { New-NcVolClone -VserverContext $VserverName -CloneVolume $CloneVolName -ParentVolume $ParentVolname -ParentSnapshot $ParentSnapname -SpaceReserve none -ErrorAction SilentlyContinue }
Catch { Get-WFALogger -Warn -Message $("=== Caught an error in previous command.") }

While (!$CloneVolume -And ($LoopCounter -le 3)) {

$CloneVolume = Get-NcVolClone -Vserver $VserverName -Name $CloneVolName -ErrorAction SilentlyContinue

If (!$CloneVolume) {
    Get-WFALogger -Warn -Message $("=== Timed out waiting for $($CloneVolName) to arrive - waiting another 10 seconds.")
    Sleep 10
    $LoopCounter++
  }  

}

I'm sure there's a better way to address the issue, but this is has been working in my case for over a week now.

coreywanless

Actually looking further into it, I'm getting it on a bunch of commands. It seems specific to that cluster, and it is not just the server running the script.  I tried it on my PC, and got the same error.

This cluster is running 8.2.2p1

geringer

I have seen this when I am testing newly developed code.  Could you post the complete section of code that you believe is generating the error?

Mike

Announcements
NetApp on Discord Image

We're on Discord, are you?

Live Chat, Watch Parties, and More!

Explore Banner

Meet Explore, NetApp’s digital sales platform

Engage digitally throughout the sales process, from product discovery to configuration, and handle all your post-purchase needs.

Public