Active IQ Unified Manager Discussions

Inplace upgrade with WFA 3.1RC1

AdaikkappanArumugam

HI WFA Team,

Does WFA 3.1 RC1 support inplace upgrade from WFA 2.2 or later ?

Reading the release notes and ISG doesnt seem to confirm the same.

Regards

Adai

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

sinhaa

WFA3.1RC1 does NOT support in-place upgrade from WFA2.2 or WFA3.0

WFA3.1RC1 has laid the foundation for inplace upgrades in WFA. So inplace upgrdes will happen for an existing WFA3.1RC1 to a upward newer WFA version ( ex: WFA3.1RC2 or 3.1GA or anything above) which will be available in future releases.

Any WFA version lower than WFA3.1RC1 will have to go with the old Take Backup->un-install WFA->Install new WFA version -> Restore backup. So from 2.2 or 3.0 to 3.1RC1 , you need to do the same old way.

sinhaa

If this post resolved your issue, help others by selecting ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or adding a KUDO.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

sinhaa

WFA3.1RC1 does NOT support in-place upgrade from WFA2.2 or WFA3.0

WFA3.1RC1 has laid the foundation for inplace upgrades in WFA. So inplace upgrdes will happen for an existing WFA3.1RC1 to a upward newer WFA version ( ex: WFA3.1RC2 or 3.1GA or anything above) which will be available in future releases.

Any WFA version lower than WFA3.1RC1 will have to go with the old Take Backup->un-install WFA->Install new WFA version -> Restore backup. So from 2.2 or 3.0 to 3.1RC1 , you need to do the same old way.

sinhaa

If this post resolved your issue, help others by selecting ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or adding a KUDO.

AdaikkappanArumugam

Thanks Sinhaa.

JGPSHNTAP

Glad to see this is finally being addressed as of 8.3.1rc1 forward..

JoelEdstrom

I thought I'd note that when you do the restore from WFA 3.0 to WFA 3.1RC1 it doesn't populate the credentials correctly.  They look like they are there but the passwords no longer work when tested and need to be put back in again. 

It's a minor inconvenience and this upgrade could be the exception here but thought I'd mention it in case anyone else starts having authentication issues to their filers/clusters.

sinhaa

JoelEdstrom,

This happens when your backup file is taken from a one WFA machine-box and you are restoring it on a different  WFA Box i.e. another machine. Every WFA installation has a unique key for that particular OS box and the saved credentials are encrypted/decrypted using that particular key. So the new WFA instalation on a different machine will have a different key and hence after the Restore of the backup-file which is nothing but mysql dump, the saved credentials present in WFA DB can't be decrypted using this key. That's why you need to put them back again i.e. saving them now again with the new key as per on this box.

So after Restoring, you need to import the key as well and you'll save yourself from this trouble. Look for how to do it in WFA Installation and Setup Guide.

sinhaa

JoelEdstrom

Ah, that makes sense and is a good security measure.  Thanks Sinhaa!

Public