Community maintenance is complete. Thank you for your patience!

Active IQ Unified Manager Discussions

Is WFA supports active/standby design ??

madhu_gogalla

My client has 2 different geographical data centers and asking us to implement WFA in active/standby mode , so that they can execute them from both if needed.

Does WFA supports active/standby config ?? did any one have implemented it ?

5 REPLIES 5

arjunan
Option 1 : Backup and restore : Have two instances of the WFA server on the two geographical locations. One WFA instance as active and whenever you need to switch to other instance take a backup from Active instance and restore it on the standby instance. steps: 1. Take a Backup of the Active instance 2. Bring down the Active instance 3. Bring up the Standby Instance 4. Restore with the Backup taken on the Active instance. drawback: ------------- every-time you need to switch you need to take a backup and restore it on the standby instance and make it active. Option 2 : High-Availability : WFA supports High-Availability option in the latest release. but we support this configuration only on the same geographical location because the shared LUN between High-Availability WFA servers should be on the same location as WFA instances. Option 3: Disaster recovery solution : This is also more like a backup and restore solution, but both the instances will have the same UUID as the DR backup takes the entire system backup and restore.

cbbarkin

@arjunan wrote:
Option 1 : Backup and restore : Have two instances of the WFA server on the two geographical locations. One WFA instance as active and whenever you need to switch to other instance take a backup from Active instance and restore it on the standby instance. steps: 1. Take a Backup of the Active instance 2. Bring down the Active instance 3. Bring up the Standby Instance 4. Restore with the Backup taken on the Active instance. drawback: ------------- every-time you need to switch you need to take a backup and restore it on the standby instance and make it active. Option 2 : High-Availability : WFA supports High-Availability option in the latest release. but we support this configuration only on the same geographical location because the shared LUN between High-Availability WFA servers should be on the same location as WFA instances. Option 3: Disaster recovery solution : This is also more like a backup and restore solution, but both the instances will have the same UUID as the DR backup takes the entire system backup and restore.

A couple of questions:

1. For the active/active model (WFA in each site polling the same data sources) - would you have OCUM instances in each site as well, with each OCUM polling each cDOT cluster (assuming a manageable number of cDOT clusters)

or

2. Passive model: perform a similar backup/restore task with the OCUM server

Thanks geringer and arjunan.

arjunan

hi ,

1. For the active/active model (WFA in each site polling the same data sources) - would you have OCUM instances in each site as well, with each OCUM polling each cDOT cluster (assuming a manageable number of cDOT clusters)

Active\Active means if there is a failure of application\server in one location will be taken over by another site without downtime, what we support in WFA high-availability is Active\Passive option. The one node will be active and whenever the Active node goes down the passive will become Active.

whatever you have mentioned are two differnt instances,

- when one WFA at one site goes down while executing workflows that will not be taken care by another site as there is no link between them.

- This may help in monitoring but not for WFA application.

- I think OCUM supports backup\restore, i am not sure if they support comprehensive backup/restore

thanks,

Prabu

- are you talking about OCUM instance ? The backup restore is supported in OCUM but i am not sure if they support Comprehensive restore\backup.

cbbarkin

HI arjunan,

Thanks for the response - I should have been clearer - I realize that neither OCUM nor WFA support what anyone would consider active/active.  I should have described it as independent instances of WFA/OCUM/OPM at each site.

In any case for my client we've decided on a single VM with WFA/OCUM/OPM, that will be replicated to their three sites either with SMVI/SnapMirror or vSpere replication.

geringer
Madhu, I think you have a number of choices on an architecture. The right solution for your customer will depend on the next level of details on the requirements. I see a few options, and I suspect there may be others as well. 1) Run WFA on a VM, and setup a D/R instance in the remote site. Utilize the remote site D/R capabilities of your hyper-visor, or SMVI and SnapMirror. There are many ways to do this. This will give you one production instance of WFA to manage and logs/history (within RPO) will be available at the D/R site. You will only have the D/R instance available in the case of a true D/R scenario. 2) Setup two WFA instances. Run regular backups of the production WFA database and send to the D/R site. Again there are many ways to do this. In the case of a D/R, restore the latest backup on the D/R site and force data source acquisition. This will also give you one production instance the WFA database. You will need a change control process to keep both instances of the software at the same code release, and you will still have the same logs/history (within RPO) at the D/R site. 3) Setup two production WFA instances. You will need a change control process to ensure you release workflows and WFA configuration into both instances. You will not have history from a site that fails. You will not need to perform any D/R recovery for the second site. This is more active/active. Both sites will load the WFA cache from the same data sources. Mike
Announcements
NetApp on Discord Image

We're on Discord, are you?

Live Chat, Watch Parties, and More!

Explore Banner

Meet Explore, NetApp’s digital sales platform

Engage digitally throughout the sales process, from product discovery to configuration, and handle all your post-purchase needs.

NetApp Insights to Action
I2A Banner
Public