The transition to NetApp MS Azure AD B2C is complete. If you missed the pre-registration, you will be invited to register at next log in.
Please note that access to your NetApp data may take up to 1 hour.
To learn more, read the FAQ and watch the video.
Need assistance? Complete this form and select “Registration Issue” as the Feedback Category.

Active IQ Unified Manager Discussions

Monitoring CPU impact of compression and de-compression

TOMASYAWORKS

Currently we are suffering from high CPU on compression en de-compression on our CIFS only filer. A sent perfstat.out to Netapp states that the CPU is working hard to decompress files while accesing them.

Is there a way to monitor compression en de-compression action with specific counters in DFM, or command line?

And what are the counters to look at? When do we reach a bottleneck, so we need to turn it off.

Users experience slow CIFS access on this filer. Sometimes it is slow, some time it is fast. There is not really a pinpoint on exact time.

Tomas

1 REPLY 1

ekashpureff

Tomas -

This is one of the most interesting questions I've seen recently !

The short answer -

As far as I can tell compression and decompression is part of the kahuna domain - it isn't CIFs specific.

You might want to try and look for a correlation between CPU(or kahuna) and cifs read activity in OnComand Unified Manager (DFM).

I don't advise customers to turn on compression in high read activity environs, we do caution that it can be a CPU hit on decompression.

I'm going to try and run some tests on my lab environ here, and see if I can tell you any more...

I hope this response has been helpful to you.

At your service,

Eugene E. Kashpureff

EugeneK@UnitekEducation.com

Senior Netapp Instructor, Unitek Education

http://www.linkedin.com/in/eugenekashpureff

(P.S. I appreciate points for helpful or correct answers.)

Me thinks I'm in love with my job !

Announcements
NetApp on Discord Image

We're on Discord, are you?

Live Chat, Watch Parties, and More!

Explore Banner

Meet Explore, NetApp’s digital sales platform

Engage digitally throughout the sales process, from product discovery to configuration, and handle all your post-purchase needs.

NetApp Insights to Action
I2A Banner
Public