Community maintenance is complete. Thank you for your patience!

Active IQ Unified Manager Discussions

OCUM Alerting Headaches

TMADOCTHOMAS

Awhile back I implemented a "core alert" on OCUM that sends an alert to our NOC for nearly all critical, error, and warning events. We are currently on 7.1. My problem is, I only want this alert to send for events on our production cluster. We have a DR and test cluster as well. The problem, as far as I can tell, is that I can't simply go to the Resources tab and select the production cluster, as this only applies to cluster level alerts. In other words, if I understand correctly, I need to go to each item in the drop-down list - volumes, LUNs, SVMs, etc - and use filters to select every one of the related objects that belong to the production cluster. I keep thinking - there has to be an easier way. Does anyone have advice on how to easily exclude every object from a test cluster without having to do this?

2 REPLIES 2

WAFLHERDER

It sounds as if you have defined a list of event types that are of interest i.e. that you would like to result in alerts being generated. Which seems reasonable ... although the events themselves are a strange mix of concrete and abstract e.g. "Failed Fan" vs. "Performance Incident". What would be the consequences if the list of possible events were to be enhanced or changed in a future version of OCUM/ONTAP?

I thought it might be possible to use "Resources -> Exclude" to filter out events from the non-production systems. However when I tried that, it appears that it is not possible to use "Exclude" without first having used "Include". And once a resource of type "Cluster" has been included, OCUM no longer allows the Alert definition to be saved, because it refers to event types that are not associated with clusters 😞

So I am not sure if it is possible to do this within OCUM or not. If the alerts are being forwarded into a trouble ticketing system e.g. the Remedy AR System, maybe it would possible to "post-process" them there?

(But see my other post here about not being able to get script output in Alert email notifications.)

Let us know if you find a solution!

TMADOCTHOMAS

Thanks for your thoughts waflherder! Yes, you are running into the same roadblocks I have. To me this should be a simple thing but it unfortunately isn't. Will definiitely reply if I find an answer!

Announcements
NetApp on Discord Image

We're on Discord, are you?

Live Chat, Watch Parties, and More!

Explore Banner

Meet Explore, NetApp’s digital sales platform

Engage digitally throughout the sales process, from product discovery to configuration, and handle all your post-purchase needs.

NetApp Insights to Action
I2A Banner
Public