Scheduled Maintenance Complete
Thanks for your patience while our systems were updated.
Please contact community@netapp.com if you encounter any issues with Community login.

Active IQ Unified Manager Discussions

Usage of WFAInputPassword

mszafran

Hi,

I'm trying to use WFA to call the VSC commandlets in VSC 6.0.   I have a question on how to pass a password.    When I try to grab the password from the input and use it,  i get various errors.  I tried Get-WFAInputPassword but I get the below error.  Can anyone help with a code sample?

Thanks

Mike

2015-04-26 12:55:31,880 ERROR [com.netapp.wfa.command.execution.instance.impl.ExecutionInstanceDaoImpl] (http-executor-threads - 59) [VSC_Create_DataStore] Cannot bind argument to parameter 'EncryptedPassword' because it is null.

import-module VSC
Get-WFALogger -Info -message ("Username " + $vscUser)
Get-WFALogger -Info -message (" Password: " + $vscPass)
$passwordp = Get-WfaInputPassword -EncryptedPassword $vcsPass
$password = ConvertTo-SecureString -AsPlainText -Force $passwordp

$creds = New-Object System.Management.Automation.PSCredential $vscUser, $password
Connect-VSCserver $vscServer -Credential $creds

$SystemID = Get-VscStorageSystemId -ipAddress $Cluster
Get-WFALogger -Info -message (" System ID of " + $Cluster + " is " + $SystemID)

3 REPLIES 3

sinhaa

Mike,

Some points here:

1. You need to declare parameter $vcsPass of type Password in your command. See example in WFA developer's guide on how to use it.

2.   $passwordp = Get-WfaInputPassword -EncryptedPassword $vcsPass

This itself returns the $password in SecureString format and hence you do not need the line: $password = ConvertTo-SecureString -AsPlainText -Force $passwordp

Just use the $passwordp to create your credential object : $creds = New-Object System.Management.Automation.PSCredential $vscUser, $passwordp

sinhaa

If this post resolved your issue, help others by selecting ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or adding a KUDO.

mszafran

Sinhaa,

Thanks for the reply.  I've been trying different combinations with various error messages.  Using the Get-WfaInputPassword -EncryptedPassword $vcsPass_Password  still produces errors.   The $vscPass is now an encrypted string but not one the PSCredential likes.

My parameter:

[parameter(Mandatory=$true, HelpMessage="Specify an VSC password.")]
[Alias("vscPass_Password")] [string]$vscPass,

import-module VSC

$creds = New-Object System.Management.Automation.PSCredential $vscUser, $vscPass
Connect-VSCserver $VSCHost -Credential $creds

Log messages:

2015-04-27 08:44:10,583 INFO [com.netapp.wfa.command.execution.instance.impl.ExecutionInstanceDaoImpl] (http-executor-threads - 27) [VSC_Create_DataStore] Username mszafran@netappusps.demo
2015-04-27 08:44:10,630 INFO [com.netapp.wfa.command.execution.instance.impl.ExecutionInstanceDaoImpl] (http-executor-threads - 24) [VSC_Create_DataStore] Password: cZlo6RBVImU/8+d3KfGOqg==
2015-04-27 08:44:10,724 ERROR [com.netapp.wfa.command.execution.instance.impl.ExecutionInstanceDaoImpl] (http-executor-threads - 29) [VSC_Create_DataStore] Cannot find an overload for "PSCredential" and the argument count: "2".

sinhaa

The correct code should be:

====

[parameter(Mandatory=$true, HelpMessage="Specify an VSC password.")]
[Alias("vscPass_Password")] [string]$vscPass,

import-module VSC

#Get the password in Secure String format.

$vcsPass_Sec= Get-WfaInputPassword -EncryptedPassword $vcsPass

$creds = New-Object System.Management.Automation.PSCredential $vscUser, $vscPass_Sec
Connect-VSCserver $VSCHost -Credential $creds

====

sinhaa

If this post resolved your issue, help others by selecting ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or adding a KUDO.
Public