Active IQ Unified Manager Discussions

VMWare and Host Services

michaeljdowling

For Host Services in OnCommand does the Host Service package need to be physically installed on the VMWare vCenter server?  Right now I have the SVC on vCenter and host services installed on the OnCommand management server and I was able to pull in details about our VMWare environment.

I am confused about where exactly the host services package needs to be installed.

2 REPLIES 2

reide

Michael,

The OnCommand Host Service 1.1 is not required to be installed on the VMware vCenter server - that's just a logical place for it.  You can install the Host Service package on the OnCommand 5.x management server or on a tertiary server so long as you meet the system requirements and have the appropriate network connectivity.

michaeljdowling

Thanks!  I have host services installed on my OnCommand 5.X server and I have my lab VMWare showing up in OnCommand now.   I don't seem to be able to add another Vcenter server though.  I can i only manager one Vcenter per host service installation?  I'm new to this and have been reading a lot but there is a lot of information out there and so many different utilities it is confusing, sorry for my ignorance.

Public