Active IQ Unified Manager Discussions

netapp-harvest ocum capacity metrics

SrikanthReddy

I am not seeing capacity metrics from ocum into netapp-harvest db 

if any other config needs to be added,checked  for ocum other than below as in netapp-harvest document 

updated our environment info for below in our netapp-harvest.conf
[INSERT_OCUM_HOSTNAME_HERE]
hostname = INSERT_IP_ADDRESS_OR_HOSTNAME_OF_OCUM_HOSTNAME
site = INSERT_SITE_IDENTIFIER_HERE
host_type = OCUM
data_update_freq = 900
normalized_xfer = gb_per_sec
template = ocum-opm-hierarchy.conf
graphite_root = netapp-capacity.Clusters.{display_name}
graphite_meta_metrics_root = netapp-capacity-poller.INSERT_OCUM_HOSTNAME_HERE

from logs see this for OCUM
[2015-10-02 10:59:08] [WARNING] [sysinfo] Discovered [CDOT-1] on OCUM server with no matching conf section; to collect this cluster please add a section
[2015-10-02 10:59:08] [WARNING] [sysinfo] Discovered [CDOT-2] on OCUM server with no matching conf section; to collect this cluster please add a section

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

mlinzer

Thanks Chris, checking the logs provided the answer. I had made a change to the mhnap-cls entry and never restarted the OCUM poller! Once I restarted it it picked up both entries.

However, I noticed another error in the mhnap-cls log:

[WARNING] [lun] update of data cache failed with reason: For lun object, no instances were found to match the given query.

This cluster has no luns. is that why i am getting these errors? they appear every minute! any way to stop them?

Moshe

View solution in original post

23 REPLIES 23

madden

Hi @RickStratton

Yes, the config edits are good, but I also notice now that your data_update_freq is set to 300, which is 5min.  This will work but since OCUM itself only update from the cluster every 15 minutes you could just as well set this to 900 and reduce load on the Harvest host and OCUM server.

For your changes to take effect you just need to restart the OCUM poller: 

# /opt/netapp-harvest/netapp-manager -restart -poller OCUM_CEPINVAP296

It will then poll on every minute of  00,15,30,45 past the hour, so wait for that time to pass and you shoudl see data points. Usually you need two cycles to see any line (i.e. two dots connected) in the GUI.  You can also check the logfile in /opt/netapp-harvest/log/OCUM_CEPINVAP296_netapp-harvest.log to see if it discovered the OCUM clusters and associated them with your poller entries for them correctly.  The entries that show all is well look like this:

[2016-10-14 11:25:57] [NORMAL ] [main] Metrics for cluster [mcc-A] will be submitted with graphite_root [netapp.capacity.nldemo.mcc-A]

Lastly, you should remove the metrics files from the old hierarchy to free that diskspace:

# rm -Rf /var/lib/graphite/whisper/netapp-capacity

Hope this fixes you up!

Cheers,
Chris Madden

Solution Architect - 3rd Platform - Systems Engineering NetApp EMEA (and author of Harvest)

Blog: It all begins with data

If this post resolved your issue, please help others by selecting ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or adding a KUDO or both!

RickStratton

Chris,

Yep, this worked perfectly, thanks for the prompt reply and detailed explanation!.

I compared the OCPM-based capacity stats vs. the Harvest-based capacity stats (by comparing the .wsp files that get created) and see that, for the most part, Harvest is storing the same stats, minus a few that show up in netapp-capacity .... since you've already provided graphs for the Harvest-based capacity stats, I'll probably leave those stats enabled so that the graphs you provided work.

One thing that I think led to my confusion: I think section 10.3 in the Harvest Install & Admin Guide 1.2.2, in section 10.3 is either worded incorrectly, or I read/interpreted it incorrectly:

The default OCUM template submits metrics in a hierarchy that is parallel to the performance metrics submitted by Harvest. If it is desired to use the OPM external data provider feature for performance data, and Harvest for capacity metrics, an example custom collection template can be used. This template is named template/example/ocum-opm-hierarchy.conf. To use it copy the file to template/ocum-opm-hierarchy.conf, and then add a poller section in the format:

[INSERT_OCUM_HOSTNAME_HERE]
hostname = INSERT_IP_ADDRESS_OR_HOSTNAME_OF_OCUM_HOSTNAME
site = INSERT_SITE_IDENTIFIER_HERE
host_type = OCUM
data_update_freq = 900
normalized_xfer = gb_per_sec
template = ocum-opm-hierarchy.conf
graphite_root = netapp-capacity.Clusters.{display_name}
graphite_meta_metrics_root = netapp-capacity-poller.INSERT_OCUM_HOSTNAME_HERE

The way you explained it today, is that, in order for me to get the Harvest-based capacity graphs working, I needed to comment out the last 4 entries of the above example config.

madden

Hi @RickStratton

Great feedback.  In the next rev of the admin guide document I will update the text to be more clear.

Thanks!

Cheers,
Chris Madden

Solution Architect - 3rd Platform - Systems Engineering NetApp EMEA (and author of Harvest)

Blog: It all begins with data

If this post resolved your issue, please help others by selecting ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or adding a KUDO or both!

Public