Ask The Experts

Head swap AFF8060 to A700

IanThompson

As I was wondering whether you might be able to help me with a project that I’m involved with at present. We are planning to complete a head swap from a AFF8060 to AFF700 on a four node cluster and at the same time update external SSD shelves from IOM 6 to IOM 12, meaning we have a planned outage.

The customer utilises FCoE with many portsets connected to a nexus switch (note cluster switches have already been upgraded to 40Gb, also know root aggregate will need to be increased). They have many SVM’s with LIF’s and was concerned that as the A700 has a different port structure to 8060 we would need to modify all lifs to new ports to match the A700 layout.

My questions:

• Will the same NPIV wwpn remain on the A700 with an obselete port (coming from AFF8060 original layout)
  • If we need to can we modify the wwpn if it does change and allocate this to a different port with having to delete lif
  • Will the lun serial numbers chane (simialr to the olf 7 mode setup)
  • What objects need to be removed before the head swap
    • for example vlans

Basically I’m concerned that the head swap will not allow us to modify existing lif’s or NPIV if they change (customer has many fcalises created)

3 REPLIES 3

SpindleNinja

Will the same NPIV wwpn remain on the A700 with an obselete port (coming from AFF8060 original layout)

-  All the virual wwpn lifs will remain the same.  this is one reason why it's best practice to zone to the virtual and not the physical wwpns.    You'll need to figure out what's best for whats the best lif to target port layout in the new A700.  

If we need to can we modify the wwpn if it does change and allocate this to a different port with having to delete lif

- You can modfy a wwpn.  https://docs.netapp.com/ontap-9/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.netapp.doc.dot-cm-cmpr-940%2Fvserver__fcp__portname__set.html

- Will the lun serial numbers chane (simialr to the olf 7 mode setup)

I dont believe they will automatically change,  they last few I did I didn't notice that they changed.  And the customer didn't mention any issues with FC.  But there is a command to manually change them.   https://docs.netapp.com/ontap-9/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.netapp.doc.dot-cm-cmpr-910%2Flun__modify.html

- What objects need to be removed before the head swap.  

- Removed?   like deleted and recreated later?  or just removed. 

IanThompson

Many thanks for your reply..

As we have a four node cluster, I was wondering whether we would need to remove any entries before we completed the head swap, for example:

• Broadcast domains
  • portsets
  • FC lifs (wwpn)
  • etc..

Do you have a procedure that you use? Just wanted to make sure the A700 does not panic when the old cluster config from the AFF8060is presented.

Ian

SpindleNinja

It will all depend how you end up doing the new port configs on the new system.     And the best way to get the old port config replaced with the new port config.   

I would start by reading this doc if you haven't already.

https://library.netapp.com/ecm/ecm_download_file/ECMLP2540637 

The idea with a headswap is that the A700 will assume the idinity of the 8060 and what data is running on them, so as long as there is ONTAP compatiablity etc,  you should be fine.   

Public