Hi

this is the error

Screen Shot 2021-07-27 at 11.37.36 AM.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

ostiguy

Solutions Enabler's SMI-S has a management portal:

https://.....:5989/ecomconfig

the default credentials are administrator / #1Password

Test that in a browser. The user accounts are local to the SMI-S service, so I strongly suggest not changing those unless you know someone has manually changed the default credentials

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

ostiguy

You have your collector configured to use a netcnfg alias that is not defined in the netcnfg file in the Solutions Enabler installation.

Lets take a step back, and discuss a few concepts:

Solutions Enabler manages Symmetrix arrays by having a number of small "gatekeeper" volumes provisioned to them = SE has physical connectivity to the Symmetrix array via FC/iSCSI volumes

Solutions Enabler supports client/server mode, where you can have Solutions Enabler (client) speak to another Solutions Enabler (server) to manage arrays - it is this topology that the majority of CI users will use.

In Client/Server mode, you need to have the netcnfg file edited to define aliases for the various remote SE "servers" you want to access.

In CI, you need to define a valid netcnfg alias that will match one of those aliases set in the "Service Name" field, or, you need to not use "REMOTE" or "REMOTE_CACHED" in the advanced option "Connection Caching" - but that leaves "LOCAL" as the only connection mode, which requires your CI AU to have those gatekeeper volumes presented to it from 1 or more Symms.

Sujata

Thx

so this is symcli installed on windows

We did look at netcnfg file , and also selected local

I think we dont know what user and passwd to give in advanced options

symcli is installed locally and AU is also on the same machine,.

I am asking a lot but can you join the customer call please.

Thx

ostiguy

Usernames and passwords are only relevant for performance, which will only be attempted if inventory is successful - it is a bit early to worry about that stuff.

It looks like this collector succeeded for inventory at 1:01pm EST - do you now see some number of Symmetrix arrays in the Devices section of the collector page?

If inventory is successful, we can contemplate performance.

The performance collection needs to work against a Solutions Enabler installation that has the SMI-S service/functionality, aka ECOM installed - this is NOT necessarily installed by default on Solutions Enabler servers.

~6 minutes ago, I see a collector failed to speak to SMI-S - the collector is configured to speak to an IP address whose last octet is 40. It looks like that server may NOT have SMI-S installed or running - CI is getting a TCP Connection Refused when attempting to initiate a TCP connection to https://......40:5989

Does that ...40 server have a "ECOM" service/daemon running?

Sujata

Good point, I don't think ECOM daemon is running on windows server, ends with .40 address.

So it is able to run the inventory now. Under ADMIN tab of CI I don't see anything red and I can see Symmetrix ID. AU and data collectors both show discovered and I also see Inventory completed.

But still it is not collecting performance data because when we give Test connection , it says Performance: Failed login.

Let me ask storage admin to check ECOM. Thx

Sujata

I can send you screenshot in email, don't want to send here.

Plus where can we look for CI logs and error details?

Secondly can we test from command prompt ECOM connections? I have asked them if ECOM is installed or not.

Thx

Sujata

ostiguy

Solutions Enabler's SMI-S has a management portal:

https://.....:5989/ecomconfig

the default credentials are administrator / #1Password

Test that in a browser. The user accounts are local to the SMI-S service, so I strongly suggest not changing those unless you know someone has manually changed the default credentials

Sujata

Thanks for all the help.

It was ECOM service  installation and user creation and I followed this article, helped us to troubleshoot.

https://davidring.ie/2015/06/19/vmax-smis/

We have configured one array and then added another, we see performance failure error intermittently. I am on a screen share, I asked him to add more GKs. As only 1 GK was configured. Now he is adding 5 more so total 6.

Can you pl. confirm that you are seeing performance data ? Thx

Sujata

Is it possible that version of symcli is 9.2.10 and it is not supported by CI?

Thx

ostiguy

The SMI-S server that this collector is pointed at has 3 symms in it:

all with serial numbers like ......5xxx

The 2 arrays managed by the Solutions Enabler server that this collector is discovering have

serial numbers like ......2xxx

Therefore, this collector is failing to report performance because this collector cannot obtain performance data for the 2 arrays it is responsible for. Effectively, this collector looks like it is configured to speak to the wrong SMI-S server, a SMI-S server for a different collection of arrays.

The fact that this SMI-S server may or may not have performance data for other arrays in effectively irrelevant - this collector knows what it did for inventory (discover two arrays with .....2xxx serial numbers), and therefore for performance, it is only looking for those 2 array's data

Sujata

Thx. We will first try downgrading symcli and then if unresolved, contact the vendor.

Public