Data Backup and Recovery

Description: NDMP Server reported the following error: Maximum number of backup contexts reached

pereirath

Hi,

I am fairly new to the NetApp world and still discovering and learning as I go. Running CommVault backups started seeing this error when sending backups to tape...

"Description: NDMP Server reported the following error: [Maximum number of backup contexts reached. Delete some of the unwanted restartable backup contexts and retry the operation.]."

XXXXXX::> vserver services ndmp restartable-backup show
Vserver Context Identifier Is Cleanup Pending?

It does say I have 101 entries now, but it changes up to 128 maximum. I have not seen this before and wondering what could it be. The only thing we did recently was the CommVault SP11 upgrade which doesnt mention anything about NDMP.

Found this post which is more informative rather than troubleshooting or workaround type... https://community.netapp.com/t5/Data-Backup-and-Recovery-Discussions/NDMp-backups-are-fail-as-maximum-number-of-dumps-restores-allowed-is-reached-for/...  

This one https://mysupport.netapp.com/NOW/cgi-bin/bol?Type=Detail&Display=413339 says that "This bug is not scheduled to be fixed"

Has anyone seeing this before? Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

pereirath

For some reason, like I said before we had the maximum context identifier in our netapp which were causing some error.

----------- ------------------------------------ -------------------
128 entries were displayed.

The Tape Backup jobs were killed and all the context identifier were deleted from netapp, rerun the jobs and errors disappeared. I am wondering now, how did we endup with 128 contexts, plus wondering if this is something we should be concerned in the future?

I have never seen this before, it would be nice to hear from someone in Netapp on this.

Thanks

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

pereirath

For some reason, like I said before we had the maximum context identifier in our netapp which were causing some error.

----------- ------------------------------------ -------------------
128 entries were displayed.

The Tape Backup jobs were killed and all the context identifier were deleted from netapp, rerun the jobs and errors disappeared. I am wondering now, how did we endup with 128 contexts, plus wondering if this is something we should be concerned in the future?

I have never seen this before, it would be nice to hear from someone in Netapp on this.

Thanks

pereirath

@AlexDawson Do you have any idea or any document from NetApp around the issue above? 

Ps: Havent heard/seeing anything similar so tagging NetApp. 

Thank you in advance.

AlexDawson

Hi there, the best course of action is to open a case with our support center. This forum is primarily for general questions about systems versus resolving actual service impacting incidents.

Public