Data Backup and Recovery

Exchange 2010 SP1 with Archive Mailbox on another server and SME/SMBR

__ple_12402

Hello,

We have a customer with Exchange 2010 SP1 environment (DAG, Archive,...) and SME 6.02.853 / SMBR 6.0.2.3 installed.

This customer create Primary Mailbox with Archive Mailbox stored in a different server, as Microsoft allows it (option 3 bellow)

Provisioning archive mailboxes
Provisioning archive mailboxes

Is it supported by SME and SMBR ?
It’s seems that SMBR, doesn’t see the Archive Mailbox, in this case, when the customer tries to restore. 

Thanks for your help

Philippe

7 REPLIES 7

chittur

This is my understanding that SME will backup active databases and Archive datadase as normal backups. With respect to SMBR what are you trying to? If you can point the SMBR to the edb files you should be able to restore the archive mails correct me if I am assuming something else.

Thanks

Kumar

__ple_15582

Hello Kumar,

My status is the following : SME backup well Primary Mailbox and Archive Mailbox (located on another Mailbox Server).

SMBR, during the restoration,  access correctly to Primary Mailbox and Archive Mailbox saved by SME, but does not see the target user Archive Mailbox, he sees only the classical Primary Mailbox. It seems impossible with SMBR to restore an Archive mailbox (or mail in an Archive mailbox) into an Archive mailbox target (for the same user). Is it a feature not supported by SMBR?

Thanks for your help and answer

Philippe

chittur

Phillipe,

This could a RFE or a bug which needs to resolved is it possible for you to open a case with NGS support and the same time I can follow-up intenally.

Thanks!

Kumar

chittur

Did some additional research and you can use the following workaround

This is a two-step processmay be in future we can integrate this with SMBR.

1. Export the mail from EDB to a PST
  2. Run the following Powershell cmdlet to import the PST directly to the archive mailbox using the following command
    • New-MailboxImportRequest -Mailbox “JohnDoe” –IsArchive -FilePath \\Server_name\PSTFileShare\John_Doe.pst

IsArchive switch specifies that you're importing the .pstfile into the user's archive mailbox.

Hope this helps!

Thanks!

Kumar

m_kellner

Hello, this is by design. the personal Archive is a hidden Mailbox mapped to the Primary Client Mailbox. You must recover the content to the original place in the Users Mailbox. In the next run of the Mailbox Agent the Mails are moved to the Archive.

You must understand the function of the personal archive.

A User has an Mailbox with personal archive enabled. Exchange create an personal archive Mailbox on the same or another server.

In the rules settings is enabled to move the mails from the primary to archive. The Folder structure is on both boxes is the same.

chittur

Kellner,

Thanks for the clarifiation and it makes absolute send now that you need to restore it to the active mailbox and when the policy will be applied it will move the mails to the archive mailbox. I will check if there is a possibility if we can bypasss the active mailbox and restore directly to archive mailbox.

Thanks!

Kumar

ple

Thank you all for your answers.

Best regards,

Philippe

Public