Data Backup and Recovery

[FAS2750] how to guide this job? (Migration / FlexVol)

jizzzy

Hi all.

I have something question.

In my case, my customer now using 15TB volume and they want to make 15TB volume to 5TB volume and than making new 10TB volume.

The 15TB volume now stores about 1.5TB of data, so what method should we use to safely migrate this data without damage?

1. Now we have 15TB volume.
2. We will reduce the 15TB volume to 5TB and create a new 10TB volume as much as the reduced capacity.
3. How can I safely migrate as much as 1.5TB of data?

P.S. We're not using SnapMirror, SnapRestore licenses. and this job has downtime so I need you to guide me in the safest direction possible.

P.S2. We have SnapMirror demo license.

P.S3. The product is FAS2750 and there are 24E/A 1.8TB SAS disks

regards.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

SpindleNinja

You can resize a 15T flexvol containing 1.5T data to 5T flexvol safely,  no need to move data.  

Though still not 100% sure what you're trying to get as an end result.  Just a 5T flexvol with 1.5T data and a new 10TB flexvol? 

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

SpindleNinja

You can resize a 15T flexvol containing 1.5T data to 5T flexvol safely,  no need to move data.  

Though still not 100% sure what you're trying to get as an end result.  Just a 5T flexvol with 1.5T data and a new 10TB flexvol? 

jizzzy

I'm worried about a data broken.

if i modify volume size, how much time wait for volume returning to aggregate?

Thanks.

jizzzy

plus 1.5tb data must be moved to NEW 10TB volume.

Thanks.

SpindleNinja

That's one of the best parts of a "flexible volume"  you can really do just about whatever you want with it.    

re: the data in the new 10TB;  Is it just a subset of the data or all of the data that that is needing to be moved in the new 10TB volume? 

jizzzy

re: the data in the new 10TB;  Is it just a subset of the data or all of the data that that is needing to be moved in the new 10TB volume? 

Re: Yes. Data must moved to new 10TB volume

(15TB VOLUME(1.5tb data) -> 5TB VOLUME(flexvol) -> New 10TB VOLUME(moved 1.5tb data from 5tb volume)

regards.

SpindleNinja

Why not just resize the 15T volume 10T and create a new 5T volume? 

jizzzy

When i made the SVMs and 15TB Volumes, i selected type UNIX. Because customer wanted use only NFS service.

but after we have a meating, The customer want use NFS and CIFS service. So i guess maybe i should make a new SVMs and Volumes type MIXED.

so i think this situation can’t be resize 15tb volume to 10tb.

Please best guide to me 😞

regards.

Public