Data Backup and Recovery

Fast restore not possible because of SnapMirror

wintermute

I have a Backup of a Oracle DB and would like SMO to execute a Fast Restore. However I receive the following Message in a Restore Prieview :

Restore Plan:

Preview:

The following components will be restored completely via: storage side file system restore

/AUMT/u01

Analysis:

The following reasons prevent certain components from being restored completely via: fast restore

SnapMirror relationship for n20:/vol/v20_s041_003 will be lost.  

* Newer snapshots of n20:/vol/v20_s041_003 will be lost: [n30(1573945218)_v20_s041_003.31930]

Components to restore:

/AUMT/u01

* Reasons denoted with an asterisk (*) are overridable.

How can I get SMO to ignore the relationship to SnapMirror and perform a Fast Restore ?

As my Storage Admin explained to me we have to have a Backup to SnapMirror for Desaster Recovery.

Thanks Eric

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

himanshp

Hello Eric,

You can override the SnapMirror baseline snapshot copies check only if SnapDrive for UNIX Role based access control (RBAC) is configured with operations manager, and as a user you have the SD.SnapShot.DisruptBaseline capability assigned by the operations manager administrator. This is not possible without enabling RBAC,

If there is no DFM integration involved, then storage admin manually has to break the relationship and after the restore, recreate the relationship.

Thanks,

Himanshu

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

himanshp

Hello Eric,

Fast restore here will have negative consequences as shown in analysis. You are trying to do the fast restore from a snapshot which is older than the baseline snapshot of the snapmirror relationship. The relationship to the secondary will be broken if you do so and  backups will not get protected to snapmirror destination.

Fast restores should always be used with caution.

You should either restore from a backup created after the relationship's baseline snapshot or break the relationship manually, and then recreate, rebaseline the relationship after the restore.

Hope this helps

Thanks,

Himanshu

wintermute

Hello Himanshu and all,

Thank you for your answer. My Storage Admin tell's me that we have a policy in SnapMirror which copies all changes on Primary Storge to Secondary in a 5 Min. interval. So 5 Min. after the backup is taken it is useles for fast restore.

Is there a way I can break the relationship from SMO ? As a DBA I don't have permission to use root user or a snapmirror account outside from SMO.

Can someone point me to a whitepaper or could describe how the Backup/Restore/Clone is handled in a SMO/SnapMirror Environment with large DB's (2TB +).

Thanks Eric

himanshp

Hello Eric,

You can override the SnapMirror baseline snapshot copies check only if SnapDrive for UNIX Role based access control (RBAC) is configured with operations manager, and as a user you have the SD.SnapShot.DisruptBaseline capability assigned by the operations manager administrator. This is not possible without enabling RBAC,

If there is no DFM integration involved, then storage admin manually has to break the relationship and after the restore, recreate the relationship.

Thanks,

Himanshu

Public