Data Backup and Recovery

How to Migrate Database from SQL Server 2008 to 2014?

Andrew321

I have a large database up to 159 GB. The database of SQL Server 2008 is saved on one machine. I don't have much knowledge about Import/Export wizard nor I have a secondary storage like pen drive which could store this 159 GB data to move database files from one machine to another. Is there any good option that I can use to migrate the database from SQL Server 2008 to 2014?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Andrew321

Thanks for your valuable response, I was searching a lot for the solution and every time I stuck in backup and restore which was not possible in my scenario. I got the recommendation of SysTools SQL Server Database Migration from here https://stackoverflow.com/questions/18866321/how-to-copy-sql-server-2008-r2-database-from-one-machine-to-another who helped me in migrating SQL Server database from 2008 to 2014. 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

matte

Hi

So, basically you want to upgrade SQL server to a newer version, correct?

i think you should post this question on a micorosft forum for better assistance.

As far as i know you can perform an in-place upgrade to SQL Server 2014 using the graphical Installation or you can upgrade using a configuration file.

If instead you want to install SQL on another machine and mugrate the database there i think you have to depoly the new machine, isntall SQL 2014 and follow the Micorosft best practices for the database migration.

Andrew321

Thanks for your valuable response, I was searching a lot for the solution and every time I stuck in backup and restore which was not possible in my scenario. I got the recommendation of SysTools SQL Server Database Migration from here https://stackoverflow.com/questions/18866321/how-to-copy-sql-server-2008-r2-database-from-one-machine-to-another who helped me in migrating SQL Server database from 2008 to 2014. 

Uliana

If you need to transfer your database to another machine with a different version of SQL Server, you can try software for automated database migration Ispirer Toolkit

Public