Data Backup and Recovery

NDMP ontap 8.0.3P3 to SP 8.1.12

sahara101

Hello,

so I am at the point of connecting the netapp with Spectrum Protect. I see I need to create paths, but how can I add the drive to netapp? I do not find any documentation...

Library is a TS3500 with LTO5 and Jaguar tapes, I want the LTO5 for NDMP backups.

Logical Library LTO5 is connected to Spectrum Protect, backups are working. I have 2 drives there.

I now need to connect the same drives also to netapp? How? Linux where SP is installed can see netapp

OLD: Host: scsi11 Channel: 00 Id: 02 Lun: 02
Vendor: NETAPP Model: LUN Rev: 8030
Type: Direct-Access ANSI SCSI revision: 05

OLD: Host: scsi12 Channel: 00 Id: 02 Lun: 02
Vendor: NETAPP Model: LUN Rev: 8030
Type: Direct-Access ANSI SCSI revision: 05

I also see this, not sure if from netapp

sg14 changed: LU not available (PQual 1)

sg6 changed: LU not available (PQual 1)

Update: I do not want LTO5 only to work with netapp they must also make normal backups as until now...

Thanks!

2 REPLIES 2

Ontapforrum

Most Backup vendor provides documentation/steps to facilitate - Tape Drive configuration with NAS vendor.

Your objective:
Share tape drives between NDMP operations and traditional IBM Spectrum Protect operations. Isn't it.

Please read the mentioned document, alternatively open a ticket with IBM.

Defining paths for drives attached to a NAS file server and to the IBM Spectrum Protect server
https://www.ibm.com/docs/en/spectrum-protect/8.1.12?topic=drives-attached-file-server-spectrum-protect-server

Please note, the data ontap version you are running is END-OF-Full/Limited/self-service support. I would advise bring it up to the latest version/patch for the given 7-mode data ontap.

sahara101
  • On the NAS device, obtain the tape device name, serial number, and WWN for the drive.

The netapp does not show any tape device drive.

In a Netapp documentation I found this:

How to add tape drives and libraries to storage systems
You can add tape drives and libraries to storage systems dynamically (without taking the storage
systems offline).
When you add a new medium changer, the storage system detects its presence and adds it to the
configuration. If the medium changer is already referenced in the alias information, no new logical
names are created. If the library is not referenced, the storage system creates a new alias for the
medium changer.
In a tape library configuration, you must configure a tape drive or medium changer on LUN 0 of a
target port for Data ONTAP to discover all medium changers and tape drives on that target port.

I am not sure what this means reconfigure the tape library?

Thanks.

Public