Data Backup and Recovery

Question: How to create a rw Lun Clone on a destination Snapmirror RO Volume with Snapcreator 3.5.0?

martin_pauke

Hello,

This ist my Task:

I have to check the consitency of a Oracle DB on a Snapmirror Destination.

My Step without Snapcreator:

• create a lun clone like "lun clone create /vol/snapmirrordestination_ro_vol/lun_new -b /vol/snapmirrordestination_ro_vol/lun_org recent_snapshot"

works fine. But this is to easy .

I want to delegate this to snapcreator and i,am to stupid to get it in the right way.

Snapcreatorconfig:

Snip

########################

### Required Options ###

########################

CONFIG_TYPE=STANDARD

SNAME=l22fo964_P84_ndmp_vf

SNAP_TIMESTAMP_ONLY=N

VOLUMES=abgnanst02x:sm_nst02_win_P84_log

Snip

#######################

### Cloning Options ###

#######################

NTAP_VOL_CLONE_RESERVE=none

NTAP_LUN_CLONE_RESERVATION=false

NTAP_CLONE_IGROUP_MAP=abgnanst02x:sm_nst02_win_P84_log/patest

NTAP_CLONE_FOR_BACKUP=Y

NTAP_CLONE_SECONDARY=Y

NTAP_CLONE_SECONDARY_VOLUMES=

Snip

COMMAND:

./snapcreator --profile l22fo964_NDMP_VF_P84 --action clone_lun --config_dir /usr/local/scServer3.5.0/configs/NDMP_VERIFY --policy daily --verbose

ERROR Output:

Snip

WARN: Lun Clones not supported on Secondary filer, skipping lun clone create

Snip

Reagrds

Martin

4 REPLIES 4

martin_pauke

Hi again,

additional Information. The LUN is homed in a Qtree and if i create a LUN clone on it by Hand, i could reproduce this ERROR.

Clone and Source are in a qtree:

abgnanst02x> lun clone create /vol/sm_nst02_win_PY3_log/abgs207a/patest -b /vol/sm_nst02_win_PY3_log/abgs207a/lun84 snap_abgs207a_PY3_data_and_log-daily_20121212120616

lun clone create: Cannot create LUN on a read-only volume or qtree

Now without qtree in the clone destination:

abgnanst02x> lun clone create /vol/sm_nst02_win_PY3_log/patest -b /vol/sm_nst02_win_PY3_log/abgs207a/lun84 snap_abgs207a_PY3_data_and_log-daily_20121212120616

Wed Dec 12 16:13:00 CET [abgnanst02x: lun.vdisk.spaceReservationNotHonored:notice]: Space reservations in sm_nst02_win_PY3_log are not being honored, either because the volume space guarantee is set to 'none' or the guarantee is currently disabled due to lack of space in the aggregate.

All our LUN,s are homed in a qtree.

I found this:

There are differences between cloning volumes that use qtree SnapMirror and cloning volumes that use volume SnapMirror. When you create a clone of a volume that is a destination for qtree SnapMirror replication, without specifiying the Snapshot copy name, the clone is not writable until the SnapMirror relationship of the clone volume is broken. Specifying a Snapshot copy name when creating a clone breaks the SnapMirror relationship of the clone volume and makes the volume writable. The clone of a volume SnapMirror destination volume does not have this behavior.

If i would realize a vol clone from the Snapmirrordestination ( i have realized this. It works) together with a lun clone in this vol clone and it would be working. i,am satisfied.

I need support to find the solution witch snapcreator.

Thank you for your help

Martin

ktenzer

SC only supports cloning secondary when doing volume clones not lun clones this is because you cant create lun clone in a read only volume and a sm destination is read only.

I suggest you use vol_clone to create a volume clone on secondary.

For volume clone you would also need volume snapmirror (which you appear to be using) and to configure the option NTAP_CLONE_SECONDARY_VOLUMES which tells SC the secondary volume names used. It should be primary controller and secondary volumes.

In addition you can create two configs one for backup and one for cloning. In cloning config just set NTAP_SNAPSHOT_DISABLE=Y and pass in the --snapName and point SC as desintation volume.

Lots of flexibility here

Let me know how it goes

Regards,

Keith

martin_pauke

Hi Keith,

i have to declare some points.  I use QSM Snapmirror. In a  QSM Snapmirror destination it is possible to create a r/w lun clone.  Sorry for my late answer, but i haven't found  a time window to check all this things.

QSM Config:

abgvsnap1x:/usr/local/scServer3.5.0/configs/patest # ssh abgnanst03x snapmirror status

Snapmirror is on.

Source                                                Destination                                            State          Lag        Status

abgnastor01x:/vol/stor01_lin_TEST_patest/test         abgnanst03x:/vol/nst03_lin_TEST_patest/test            Snapmirrored   00:03:23   Idle

My temporary solution is, that i use a own Script :

snip

########## PRE NETAPP COMMANDS ##########

[Fri Dec 28 13:51:45 2012] INFO: Running pre netapp command PRE_NTAP_CMD01 [ndmp_vf_lun_clune.sh -n abgnanst03x -s TEST -i patest -S clonetest-daily_recent -v -a d                        estroy]

[Fri Dec 28 13:51:48 2012] INFO: Running pre netapp command [ndmp_vf_lun_clune.sh -n abgnanst03x -s TEST -i patest -S clonetest-daily_recent -v -a destroy] finishe                        d successfully

snip

########## POST NETAPP COMMANDS ##########

[Fri Dec 28 13:52:14 2012] INFO: Running post netapp command POST_NTAP_CMD01 [ndmp_vf_lun_clune.sh -n abgnanst03x -s TEST -i patest -S clonetest-daily_recent -v -a clone]

[Fri Dec 28 13:52:17 2012] INFO: Running post netapp command [ndmp_vf_lun_clune.sh -n abgnanst03x -s TEST -i patest -S clonetest-daily_recent -v -a clone] finished successfully

snip

Result:

abgvsnap1x:/usr/local/scServer3.5.0/configs/patest # ssh abgnanst03x lun show

/vol/nst03_lin_TEST_patest/luntest1_cl      9g (9663676416)    (r/w, online, mapped)

/vol/nst03_lin_TEST_patest/test/luntest1      9g (9663676416)    (r/o, online)

My wish ( it,s Christmas time ) that i could do this without my helpscripts. With other Words: please support lun clone on a secondary site if QSM is used.

Reasons for this: To check a Backup consitency on another host without touching anything in the snapmirror environment.

Regards and a happy new year

Martin

ktenzer

Yeah right now we only support this out-of-box without helper scripts or multiple config files using volume snapmirror VSM.

I will add this as a feature request in our bug tracking system. If you have signed up for the SC developer community at www.snapcreator.com you can follow it yourself and make comments.

https://github.com/NetApp/SC-Framework/issues/1130

Happy new year!

Keith

Public