Data Backup and Recovery

SMSAP for Windows, registering backint

ChrisHolloway

Hi

I've got a few questions around SMSAP and the BR*Tool integration.  This is running on Windows.  The SMSAP GUI (the bit that's basically identical to SMO) part works fine, I can back up and restore from there with no issues.

However, I want to integrate with SAP BR*Tool.  Looking at the IAG, I need to register the backint with the SLD, but that fails:

backint register-sld -host host -username XXXXXX -port 50000 -password XXXXXX -template sld-template.xml

[ INFO] Backint Interface for SnapManager(R) 1.0

[ERROR] SMSAP-13032: Cannot perform operation: BackintRegisterOperation.  Root cause: java.lang.Nul

PointerException

[ERROR] SMSAP-13048: BackintRegisterOperation Operation Status: FAILED

Operation Id [N3dfa10ce26983813115259b27810e360] failed. Error: java.lang.NullPointerException

Questions around this:

-Template file doesn't seem to exist anywhere and I've no idea how to create it.  I found one as a sample in another thread, so I've tried that above putting the host name in instead of ${example host}.  Any tips on creating this or where I can find it?

-The BACKINT for IBM TSM is already in place and in use, and I don't want to break this.  Is it possible to have multiple BACKINTs from different vendors?

-For the initSID.sap file, is the only thing I really need in the their the path to the initSID.utl parameter file?

-When invoking brbackup, how does it know which BACKINT to call if there are multiple providers?

Thanks in advance.

7 REPLIES 7

thomas_glodde

-Template file doesn't seem to exist anywhere and I've no idea how to create it.  I found one as a sample in another thread, so I've tried that above putting the host name in instead of ${example host}.  Any tips on creating this or where I can find it?

for me it works even without registering it but isnt template located somewhere under plugins?

-The BACKINT for IBM TSM is already in place and in use, and I don't want to break this.  Is it possible to have multiple BACKINTs from different vendors?

move backint.exe from tsm to a different folder and use the util_path variable to specify this location. be aware that util_path only works with .exe files so you can NOT move the backint.cmd from the SMSAP to a different folder

-For the initSID.sap file, is the only thing I really need in the their the path to the initSID.utl parameter file?

basicly yes

-When invoking brbackup, how does it know which BACKINT to call if there are multiple providers?

create multiple init<sid>.sap files, eg initP01tsm.sap and initP01na.sap and use/schedule these. otherwise you would need a wrapper to check what is called but different .sap files is the easy way to go imho

btw, with SMSAP on windows you are entering a world of pain 😉

ChrisHolloway

Nice one, thanks.

So this should work without registering it?  There's no templates xml files for the registration anywhere (I checked the plugins directory already).

Basically, are the steps then:

-Copy backint.cmd to another location where it's required

-Update initSID.sap.  I've created one called initSID_SMSAP.sap and left the old one in place for TSM.

-Created a utl file called initSID_SMSAP.utl and put that in the initSID_SMSAP.sap file.

-Call that with brbackup

What switches should I be using with brbackup to call this?  Would this do it:

brbackup -u / -d util_file -r initSID_SMSAP.utl

I'm not familiar with SAP at all (as you can probably tell).

thomas_glodde

should work yes

-copy backint.exe (from TSM!) somewhere else

make sure c:\program files\netapp\snapmanager for sap\bin is in the path of the <domain>\service<sapsid> user!

- update/create SMSAP.sap and SMSAP.utl files

- call that with brbackup

not sure about the parameters either, the SAP guys should know better, usualy we go for full backup & archive logs, save and delete.

ChrisHolloway

Brilliant, thanks for your help.  I've added c:\program files\netapp\snapmanager for sap\bin as a global path for all users.

I'll sit down with the TSM guys tomorrow to take a look at updating the parameters for the TSM initSID.sap file to point to backint in a different folder.  I'm assuming what I need for this is an entry like:

util_path=<path where I've moved TSM backint.exe to>

thomas_glodde

ok, sounds good so far.

as soon as backint is configured fine you might face issues about authentication/credential cache during execution of db13 jobs, be sure to use "smsap profile sync –repository –dbname <repodbid> –host myrepodbhost –port 1521 –login –username <repouser> -verbose"

ChrisHolloway

We've added this into the initSID.sap file for TSM:

util_path = C:\usr\sap\BWT\SYS\exe\uc\NTAMD64\TSM

...and moved backint.exe to there but the TSM backup now fails.  The brbackup seems to look through the PATHs we've got configured (and so finds the backint.exe in the TSM install folder and uses that) rather than reading this file.  I know this is a bit off topic as a TSM issue, but what we've tried to do is correct right?

thomas_glodde

hey,

yea, util_path is correct, worked fine for us but im not that much into tsm to know what went wrong or what else you might have missed :< back then we just google´d about util_path and used that syntax. As far as i remember we do not use the one from c:program files since i saw the util_path in a sap log.

maybe it prefers %PATH% over util_path tho.

Kind regards,

Thomas

Public