Data Backup and Recovery

SMSP 6 Restore from alternate location (Tape)

abaxendale

Hi All,

I'm hoping somebody can clarify the process to perform a granular restore from a tape backup?

We currently keep 7 days online snapshots with SMSP and are able restore from these snapshots successfully. We also backup each volume using Symantec Backup Exec via NDMP each night to tape.

I would like to restore a single file from one of the tape backups but I am unsure of the process. The steps I expect to take are;

1. Restore content database from tape to SharePoint server
  2. Mount database in SQL server on SharePoint server
  3. Run SMSP restore from alternate location and point to the restored database
  4. Select items to restore and run job
  5. Remove and delete restored database from SharePoint

Is this correct?

Also in the SMSP 6 Administrator Guide on page 182 it states that when performing a granular restore "the related databases are detached from SharePoint.” Does this mean that when running a granular (single file) restore, the content database will be unavailable (and entire SP environment)?

Thanks!

3 REPLIES 3

crocker

is this one that your team handles or should the question be asked in the NetApp Support Community?

crocker

Looks like you were not able to help on this issue here.  We have external and internal subject matter experts in the NetApp Support Community answering questions about SnapX products and software.  If you have an active NetApp Single Sign On (SSO) account login, this link enables you to engage them about this.

abaxendale

Thanks crocker,

I've reposted on the support commumity site.

Alex

Public