Data Backup and Recovery

SnapManager for Exchange - Unexpected Error Occurred while executing new-backup

davidrnexon

Hi,

I've come across an error today while using Snapmanager for Exchange 6.0.4 on Windows 2008 R2 with Exchange 2010 which results in error as soon as the backup tries to run. SnapDrive version is 6.4.1

User account on services has local admin access as well as admin access to the filer and is the same user account running the task

The eventviewer produces this error log entry:

Job : new-backup -Server 'EXCHANGE' -ManagementGroup 'Weekly' -BackupTruncatedLogs $False -RetainBackups 4 -RetainUtmBackups 0 -StorageGroup 'DB1','DB2','PF' -Verify  -VerificationServer 'Exchange' -UseMountPoint  -RemoteAdditionalCopyBackup $False

The operation executed with the following results.

Details: An Unexpected Error occurred while executing new-backup.

Details: Cannot invoke this function because the current host does not implement it. 

Stack Trace :    at System.Management.Automation.Internal.Host.InternalHostRawUserInterface.ThrowNotInteractive()

at System.Management.Automation.Internal.Host.InternalHostUserInterface.PromptForChoice(String caption, String message, Collection`1 choices, Int32 defaultChoice)

at System.Management.Automation.MshCommandRuntime.InquireHelper(String inquireMessage, String inquireCaption, Boolean allowYesToAll, Boolean allowNoToAll, Boolean replaceNoWithHalt)

at System.Management.Automation.MshCommandRuntime.DoShouldContinue(String query, String caption, Boolean supportsToAllOptions, Boolean& yesToAll, Boolean& noToAll)

at System.Management.Automation.MshCommandRuntime.ShouldContinue(String query, String caption)

at System.Management.Automation.Cmdlet.ShouldContinue(String query, String caption)

at SMEPSSnapin.SMEBackup.ProcessRecord() 

Stack Trace:    at System.Management.Automation.Internal.PipelineProcessor.SynchronousExecuteEnumerate(Object input, Hashtable errorResults, Boolean enumerate)

at System.Management.Automation.PipelineNode.Execute(Array input, Pipe outputPipe, ArrayList& resultList, ExecutionContext context)

at System.Management.Automation.StatementListNode.ExecuteStatement(ParseTreeNode statement, Array input, Pipe outputPipe, ArrayList& resultList, ExecutionContext context)

Has anyone seen this before ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

peter_wolte

I just ran across the same issue. Manually running the backup (even with the service account) was running fine but the scheduled task was not working with the same result as you got.

After creating the scheduled task with "Backup and Verify" instead of the "Backup Wizard" the job was running fine which made me confused. So I checked the details of the job and it turned out that the option "-RetainUtmBackups" must not be 0. And since you set "-BackupTruncatedLogs" to false SME will not backup the logs to be truncated anyways, so the option "-RetainUtmBackups" is somewhat redundant.

Try to change it to 1 instead of 0 and the scheduled task should run without issues.

You'll also see when you use "Backup and Verify" in the SME console instead of the "Backup Wizard" that you cannot choose "0" in the "Up-to-the-minute Restore Options" (where as in the Backup Wizard you can specify 0). So I assume this is a bug in the GUI.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

peter_wolte

I just ran across the same issue. Manually running the backup (even with the service account) was running fine but the scheduled task was not working with the same result as you got.

After creating the scheduled task with "Backup and Verify" instead of the "Backup Wizard" the job was running fine which made me confused. So I checked the details of the job and it turned out that the option "-RetainUtmBackups" must not be 0. And since you set "-BackupTruncatedLogs" to false SME will not backup the logs to be truncated anyways, so the option "-RetainUtmBackups" is somewhat redundant.

Try to change it to 1 instead of 0 and the scheduled task should run without issues.

You'll also see when you use "Backup and Verify" in the SME console instead of the "Backup Wizard" that you cannot choose "0" in the "Up-to-the-minute Restore Options" (where as in the Backup Wizard you can specify 0). So I assume this is a bug in the GUI.

davidrnexon

Thanks Peter you are right, and actualy if you want to specify 0 you can actually use -RetainUtmBackups -1 or NoUtmRestore, both these work as well.

eric_schewe

Thanks! That fixed it for me as well.

Public