Data Backup and Recovery

SnapManager for SQL SnapDrive service

jacqui_brockwell

Please forgive the newbie posts you may get from me over the next few weeks; we have recently entered the NetApp world so are learning at rather a pace.

We currently have an issue with one of our SQL servers where we go to Computer Management and try to look at the connected LUNS in the SnapDrive section, however it sits there says "Establishing Connection".  My first thought would be to restart one of the SnapDrive services on the server, however I did not want to go ahead with this in case it disconnected any of the LUNs from the Server itself, and hence take down SQL for the users.

Please can someone therefore confirm whether this would be a suitable solution, and if so which of the services I would actually need to restart.

Many thanks

Jacqui

8 REPLIES 8

jacqui_brockwell

As we didn't get any replies to this, we had to wing it a bit.  For anyone else that's interested, we did end up restarting the service which no doesn't have an effect thankfully on what drives are attached; however this did not fix the issue.

2 days later, eventually the system just sorted itself itself out (?) and has been fine since.

riegersteve

i would check the following

did you declare your storage systems in snap drive under "Preferred Storage" ?

do your filers have proper dns entries ?

what authentication protocol are you using rpc/http/https

if you use http/s then if you change the password on the filer you will need to update the record in snapdrive.

brentlund

I know this is an old post, but having the same issue.

Anyone have any ideas how to resolve other than....wait and pray?

stephenyursik

Hi Brent,

Just wondering how you wound up resolving this (hopefully you're not still waiting/praying!)... I'm facing the same issue and have a ticket created to try to work through it, but so far haven't gotten anywhere (uninstall/reinstall SD several times going through different SnapDrive versions up to 6.3P2 - same issue across the different versions).  This is on Server 2008 R2 - had been working fine for months (created/resized several LUNs with no problems at all), now it just sits at Establishing Connetion.  Any pointers you may be able to give would be GREATLY appreciated! 

Interestingly, the SMSQL jobs that run on this machine (which leverage SnapDrive) are running ok, though unless I schedule a task to restart the SnapManager service, the job will hang.  That behavior started about a month ago.  I'd venture to guess that the SnapDrive issue started at the same time, though I'm not in it often enough to be sure of that.

I'm also aware this is an old thread, but this is really the only thing I turn up online when trying to find a solution.

Thanks!

jacqui_brockwell

I am currently on Maternity Leave. Please redirect all internal calls

to the Helpdesk on 37654 or helpdesk@arun.gov.uk or any external

technical queries to james.ohara@arun.gov.uk

Regards

Jacqui Brockwell

Systems Administrator

Arun District Council

http://www.arun.gov.uk

NLPG UPRN 100062237016

DX 57406 Littlehampton

Important Notice

This e-mail is intended exclusively for the addressee and may contain information that is confidential and/or privileged.

If you are not the intended recipient (or authorised to receive it for the addressee), please notify the sender and delete the e-mail immediately; using, copying, or disclosing it to anyone else, is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful.

Any views, opinions or options presented are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Arun District Council.

The information in this e-mail may be subject to public disclosure under the Freedom of Information Act 2000, therefore we cannot guarantee that we will not provide the whole or part of this e-mail to a third party.

The Council reserves the right to monitor e-mails in accordance with relevant legislation.

Whilst outgoing e-mails are checked for viruses, we cannot guarantee this e-mail is virus-free or has not been intercepted or changed and we do not accept liability for any damage caused.

Any reference to "e-mail" in this disclaimer includes any attachments.

stephenyursik

Looks like I got this resolved - I followed these steps:

1. Stopped SnapDrive and SnapDrive Management services.  I also stopped the SnapManager service (using SMSQL on this box).
  2. Uninstalled SnapDrive 6.3P2 via vSphere console as opposed to RDP
  3. Renamed c:\program files\netapp\snapdrive folder, as files still existed there after the uninstall completed.
  4. Reinstalled SnapDrive 6.3P2.  I did not enter any settings for the ESX connection.
  5. After the reinstall finished, I was able to open SnapDrive and see my LUNs.  At this point I still had not restarted the SnapManager service (SnapDrive services started on their own upon completion of the installation).
  6. Restarted SnapManager service and found I was still able to successfully get to my LUNs in SnapDrive.

These are essentially the same steps I went through with support (which didn't work), but the differences are that in the above instance, I ran through this from the console (as opposed to RDP) and I stopped the SnapDrive service prior to uninstalling.

jacqui_brockwell

I am currently on Maternity Leave. Please redirect all internal calls

to the Helpdesk on 37654 or helpdesk@arun.gov.uk or any external

technical queries to james.ohara@arun.gov.uk

Regards

Jacqui Brockwell

Systems Administrator

Arun District Council

http://www.arun.gov.uk

NLPG UPRN 100062237016

DX 57406 Littlehampton

Important Notice

This e-mail is intended exclusively for the addressee and may contain information that is confidential and/or privileged.

If you are not the intended recipient (or authorised to receive it for the addressee), please notify the sender and delete the e-mail immediately; using, copying, or disclosing it to anyone else, is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful.

Any views, opinions or options presented are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Arun District Council.

The information in this e-mail may be subject to public disclosure under the Freedom of Information Act 2000, therefore we cannot guarantee that we will not provide the whole or part of this e-mail to a third party.

The Council reserves the right to monitor e-mails in accordance with relevant legislation.

Whilst outgoing e-mails are checked for viruses, we cannot guarantee this e-mail is virus-free or has not been intercepted or changed and we do not accept liability for any damage caused.

Any reference to "e-mail" in this disclaimer includes any attachments.

m_zoutewelle

I've seen this problem also on a few SQL servers.

Solution for me was to stop the Snapdrive and Snapmanager services, then restarting the "Net.Tcp Port Sharing Service" and then start Snapdrive and Snapmanager again.

Public