Data Backup and Recovery

VOLUME CLONE CHANGED VOLUME TO RW FROM DP

AdeyinkaGCET

Hello Community,

I needed to map some NetApp LUNs to Servers on the DR site of a client as a form of DR test. So I broke replication and made a clone of the Volume in question via GUI. After mounting the LUNs from the replicated volume, I tried resyncing the relationship, but it failed with the error: "Failed to change state back to Data Protection". 

I then proceeded to create a new relationship from Prod to DR without deleting the Cloned DR Volume (which means the replicated data is still on its volume). But the issue with this, is that it has initiated a new baseline transfer of the Volume.

What I intend to do is wait till off-business hours to clone the Production volume and initiate a reverse relationship to that volume (on Production) without updating it and resync once again to DR which will change the RW Volume to DP. Then resync.

Please is there anyway to resync the replication with the RW Volume I have in DR that failed with the above error about Data Protection or any there method different from what I intend to do and is a better approach I should have taken to achieve this?

Please treat as urgent. I look forward to your responses.

3 REPLIES 3

Sanaman

1. You can create a flexclone (at DR site) using a snap available (No need to break the snapmirror).

AdeyinkaGCET

Thank you so much for the feedback. I'll keep that in nmind.

But any information on how to resync the replication with the DR Volume that is now in Read/Write (that one was being replicated into before breaking) - as it was giving the error cannot change to Data Protection.

Sanaman

Have you tried changing the DR volume type to DP and resync the mirror?

vol modify -vserver <vserver> -volume <DR_Volume> -type DP

Public