Data Backup and Recovery

flexclones

JAYAPRAKASHNATHAN

How to create or monitor  an event when flexclones have been configured longer then a defined time (20- 25day)

or if a script can be schedule and report all defined flexclones, related file share qtree or volume

5 REPLIES 5

GARDINEC_EBRD

Hi,

Operations Manager (we're using 4.0.2) has a canned report called 'Volume Clones'.  This will show you all volumes and any clones which exist of them.  We also use an alert when a volume has a snapshot > 30 days old (for example) - this will catch any old snapshots including those locked by flexclones.

Alternatively, have a look at this post which has a powershell script to show clones: https://communities.netapp.com/docs/DOC-10355

JAYAPRAKASHNATHAN

Hi, Thanks for your posting, i have done some investingation form DFM side and  we use 4.02 D1 version  from there I can  see vol clone list, but it doesn have exact information which i need it. Is there way that  we can customized to have a better report include sechdule, snapshot details etc

Power shell i dont have idea, From My undersanding it collects report for VOL?CLONES  can you share the INFO about the script execution? with Some O/P is really helpful

Volume (ascending)AggregateStorage ServerTypeRAIDStateStatusClone ParentClones

thanks in advance

Jayaprakash Nathan

GARDINEC_EBRD

With the Operations Manager Reports you can manually work out what snapshot is used to create the clone.  As far as I'm aware the only way (other than trawling the messages file) to find out when a clone was created is by finding out what snapshot it used in the parent volume.  That is normally what is most important as the clone locks the source snapshot.

I would try using Powershell if you're a Windows house, or shell script via ssh/rsh.

The ONTAP Powershell Toolkit provides the necessary module to be added to Windows Powershell.  Have a look here:- https://communities.netapp.com/docs/DOC-6162

I've been meaning to put a script together to do this also, so now you've motivated me to do it.  This is a basic example, and only shows vol clones (need to work on it a bit more to do LUN clones):

---------------------------------------------------snip----------------------------------------------

Import-Module DataONTAP

$controller=$args[0]

connect-nacontroller $controller | Out-Null

$snapshots=get-navol | get-nasnapshot | where-object {$_.Dependency -like "*vclone*"}

# Search for Snapshots which are locked by clones

if ( $snapshots ) {

ForEach ($snap in $snapshots)

{

$CloneVol = get-navol | where-object {$_.CloneParent -like $snap.TargetName}

ForEach ($vol in $CloneVol) {

$Clone = New-Object PSObject -Property @{

CloneType     = 'Vol'

CloneVolumeName        =  $vol.Name

Created     = $snap.Created

ParentSnapshot     = $snap.Name

ParentVolume     = $snap.TargetName

ParentLun     = '' }

$Clones += $Clone

}

}

Return $Clones

}

else {

write-host "No Clones Found on $controller"

}

---------------------------------------------------snip----------------------------------------------

Call the script with the filer name as a command line argument.  Looks like this:

PS L:\WindowsPowerShell> .\CloneList.ps1 toaster1

ParentVolume    : ORA_DB_01

ParentLun       :

ParentSnapshot  : smo_orasid_orasid_orahost_20120306082215_f_h_1_8ae6768345g24560135e719f4270001_0

CloneVolumeName : SnapManager_20120306083548285_ORA_DB_01

CloneType       : Vol

Created         : 06/03/2012 08:23:51

PS L:\WindowsPowerShell>

So the 'Created' date is the timestamp from the source snapshot used for the volume clone.

Hope that helps!!

Craig

JAYAPRAKASHNATHAN

You are really appreciated, you have given me idea with an O/P

From My end i cannot use Powershell. may be i will try your power shell options , same with PERL script which we normally use

You can Advise me if you have differnt Options too

thanks in advance

Jayaprakash Nathan

GARDINEC_EBRD

With Perl you can do the same thing (assuming you can get some sort of access to the filer via ssh/rsh), you just don't have the commandlets you get in PS, so you'll need to write more code to do this.  You can search for a snapshot status of *vclone* - that tells you the snapshot is locked by volume clone.  You then need to find out which volume is cloned from it.  You can do this via the vol status command, eg:

root@toaster1:~# vol status SnapManager_20120307050057507_ORA_DB_01

Volume State           Status            Options

SnapManager_20120307050057507_ORA_DB_01 online          raid_dp, flex     create_ucode=on, guarantee=none,

fractional_reserve=0

Clone, backed by volume 'ORA_DB_01', snapshot 'smo_orasid_orasid_orahost_20120307013712_f_h_1_8ae6768435eacd710135eacd78280001_0'

Volume UUID: f37e5088-69a4-11e1-8802-00a098163128

Containing aggregate: 'aggr01_sas_600'

You'll need to use some regex in there to pull out the relevant data, then use the snashot create data from the source volume as a reference for when it was created.

Hope that helps,

Craig

Public