Data Backup and Recovery

remove clone from snapcenter

GREGD

I have snapcenter 4.3.2

i create a clone of DB.  then i want to delete clone after few days . but i cannot do it. because my backup db job is based on instance and i also used the snapmirror for snapvault. 

so i unmount the clone from netapp an sql server. everything works. 

but on snapcenter i see under databases primary jobs still the clone job. and also this

get-smclone 

Returns the info about clone.

i try Remove-SmClone but there i get error

"2021-10-30T08:41:32.7334250+02:00 ERROR SnapManagerWeb_336854 PID=[21860] TID=[39] ErrorCode (-1), ErrorMessage (Delete clone failed. Backups are associated with the resources 'XSM'. Remove the backups and retry the operation.)"

but when i try to delete the backup under primary backup under database xsm i get error please delete clone for 

"Failed to delete backup as there are clone(s) created from this backup. Please delete clone(s) - RG_SAP__clone__326998_09-28-2021_11.56.14 (Source Object - XSM, Clone Object - XSM) before deleting backup."

can someone help me what should i do? 

1 REPLY 1

Ontapforrum

It's catch 22 situation, backups cannot be deleted due to clone and clone cannot be deleted perhaps b'cos it does not exists.

Have you tried force switch - Remove-SmClone -CloneName -force -Confirm$false

If it still complains, then stale entries needs to be removed from NSM database.

Is the ticket raised with NetApp, and have you heard from them?

https://kb.netapp.com/Advice_and_Troubleshooting/Data_Protection_and_Security/SnapCenter/SnapCenter_is_unable_to_delete_clone(s)_which_have_been_remov...

Announcements
NetApp on Discord Image

We're on Discord, are you?

Live Chat, Watch Parties, and More!

Explore Banner

Meet Explore, NetApp’s digital sales platform

Engage digitally throughout the sales process, from product discovery to configuration, and handle all your post-purchase needs.

NetApp Insights to Action
I2A Banner
Public