Data Backup and Recovery

the NTFS file system does not have enough free space to shrink the disk to the size entered

TDUBB1234

I have a iscsi lun mapped to a windows vm. when i tried to shrink that lun It says

the NTFS file system does not have enough free space to shrink the disk to the size entered. Enter a valid disk drive size

the drive is empty and nothing on it.

8 REPLIES 8

shaunjurr

What is "It"?  Please be specific.

TDUBB1234

its empty

shaunjurr

What software and command is giving you the error message?

Answering "its empty" to the question "What is 'It' [sic]?" is just not helpful.

TDUBB1234

snapdrive for windows

shaunjurr

If you previously had data on the LUN, then you will need to use space reclamation before you can resize the lun, I believe. I believe there is also a limit to how far (in percent, iirc) you can reduce a filesystem with snapdrive as well and only on win2008, iirc.  I'm no wizard on the windows add-on software, so perhaps you will get a better answer soon.  At least everyone has a better idea of what you are actually having problems with.  Always be as specific as possible with your questions and answers.

TDUBB1234

wow, i resized it from command line

lun resize /vol/iscsi/iscsi_qtr/iscsi_vol0 -4g

it did resize it

but

when i went to the windows vm on snapdrive and rescanned it did show the drive as resized.

but in my computer is still shoed the old size.

So I went into windows disk management and rescanned. and it showed the new size.

BUT

it lost the drive letter and now the disk is showing as RAW not NTFS. so i guess this method of shrinking a lun makes you lose your drive and data?

TDUBB1234

there is a iscsi volume for 10gb

iscsi lun of 8gb created from this

i mapped this to a windows vm and installed snapdrive on it.

I see 7.9 gb volume in snapdrive. But I cannot shrink it

Bigadds

hi

i am having this problem , i was hoping to remove 500GB from an iscsi attached LUN

current size is 1.8TB and tried to resize to 1.3 before getting the error

i cannot afford to loose and data during the process

i am using snap drive to do this

any pointers please

thx

Public