FAS and V-Series Storage Systems Discussions

FAS2650 Initial Setup

Shawn-0

I'm looking for some insight into the Netapp world and how to initially setup a FAS2650 (one controller) and two DS4246 shelves (24 SAS).   While I've read through the manual, I don't have a clear idea of the best "real world" configuration to undertake using the equipment I've been allocated.  To give some insight, this NETAPP storage will be supplying VMs OS and DATA; while there will also be a requirement for physical and virtual machines to use the same DATA (e.g. syslog, FTP) via NFS, iSCSi.    

1 REPLY 1

AlexDawson

Hi Shawn,

Thanks for this post with additional information. As this is a single controller implementation, the first thing to consider is aggregate configuration.

The 2 x DS4246 contains 48 drives. Allowing two drives spare, I would create an aggregate of 2 x 22 disk RAID-DP RAID groups. I would call it aggr1sas600ext

If the FAS2650 chassis contains additional disks, they should be in their own aggregate - maybe aggr1sas600int

Once underlaying RAID and aggregates are setup, then you setup port channels, IPs and VLANs.

I would create at least three SVMs - one for log data (svmLOG), one for iSCSI (svmBlock) and one for VMs.

On each VM, you setup storage protocols - NFS and iSCSI based on your description. Then define which hosts can access each protocol.

All of this can be done via the built in web-based GUI - OnCommand System Manager.

Other things to look at are snapshot schedules, and our training courses at http://learningcenter.netapp.com

Hope this helps!

Announcements
NetApp on Discord Image

We're on Discord, are you?

Live Chat, Watch Parties, and More!

Explore Banner

Meet Explore, NetApp’s digital sales platform

Engage digitally throughout the sales process, from product discovery to configuration, and handle all your post-purchase needs.

NetApp Insights to Action
I2A Banner
Public