Microsoft Virtualization Discussions

Copy-NaHostFile Very Slow on existing VHD's

jasonpadman

Hello Good People,

We have been facing an interesting problem for the last few months with Copy-NaHostFile running very slow for the first time we copy a VHD file if the file has been on the volume for a few days beforehand. We have found that after we do the first Copy-NaHostFile which takes close to 1 hour for a 40gb file, we can then use the new VHD as the source and Copy-NaHostFile is fast again and takes less than a minute to complete.

Let me explain a little more:

If template.vhd has been on the volume for a few days, the below operation is very slow:

Copy-NaHostFile C:\ClusterStorage\Volume1\template.vhd C:\ClusterStorage\Volume1\SysDrive01.vhd (This operation takes 1 hour for a 40GB VHD)

If i then want to make more copies i then use the new VHD i created in the above command as the source and it is fast again:

Copy-NaHostFile C:\ClusterStorage\Volume1\SysDrive01.vhd C:\ClusterStorage\Volume1\SysDrive02.vhd (This operation takes less than 1 minute for a 40GB VHD)

We have de-duplication turned on for the thin CSV Volume / LUN but do not think this should casue Copy-NaHostFile to go very slow but happy to be proven wrong

I will do some more testing with turning off de-duplication and post back here but very interested to hear if anyone else has seen this problem and if you may know what is causing it.

- Jason

1 REPLY 1

CLIFFMILLINER

Hi,

Ive just come across this same problem. Did you eve find out if De-dupe was the cause?

-Cliff

Announcements
NetApp on Discord Image

We're on Discord, are you?

Live Chat, Watch Parties, and More!

Explore Banner

Meet Explore, NetApp’s digital sales platform

Engage digitally throughout the sales process, from product discovery to configuration, and handle all your post-purchase needs.

NetApp Insights to Action
I2A Banner
Public