Microsoft Virtualization Discussions

Copy-NcHostFile with Ontap 9.8 error "SCSI command failed: Illegal request, ASC = 2"

jjanssen1986

Hello,

i would like to test Powershell Toolkit for copy Hyper-V vhdx files. I recive following error:

Copy-NcHostFile : SCSI command failed: Illegal request, ASC = 21, ASCQ = 0
At line:1 char:1
+ Copy-NcHostFile -SourceFile 'C:\ClusterStorage\svmhanhtphv11_lun101\VMs\MGMT01\M ...
+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
+ CategoryInfo : NotSpecified: (:) [Copy-NaHostFile], Exception
+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : System.Exception,DataONTAP.PowerShell.SDK.Cmdlets.Toolkit.Windows.CopyNaHostFile

Ontap 9.8

Thx

Jan

4 REPLIES 4

ChanceBingen

Hi, Jan. Can you check the space-allocation option on the LUN in ONTAP? It should be set to enabled.

jjanssen1986

We use a AFF220 there should space allocation disabled normaly for best deduplication.

ChanceBingen

Yes, for sure you definitely want to keep everything thin to maximize your storage efficiency and immediately realize the space savings. However, the options can be very confusing sometimes.

The space-allocation LUN option doesn't affect deduplication, it has to do with accepting SCSI T-10 thin provisioning commands such as UNMAP and similar.

jjanssen1986

Hello,

thx for answer. Which Lun need to be space-allocation enable. Source or Destination ?

How can i verify this ?

Best Regards

JJ

Public