Microsoft Virtualization Discussions

Copy-NcHostFile with Ontap 9.8 error "SCSI command failed: Illegal request, ASC = 2"

Hello,

i would like to test Powershell Toolkit for copy Hyper-V vhdx files. I recive following error:

Copy-NcHostFile : SCSI command failed: Illegal request, ASC = 21, ASCQ = 0
At line:1 char:1
+ Copy-NcHostFile -SourceFile 'C:\ClusterStorage\svmhanhtphv11_lun101\VMs\MGMT01\M ...
+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
+ CategoryInfo : NotSpecified: (:) [Copy-NaHostFile], Exception
+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : System.Exception,DataONTAP.PowerShell.SDK.Cmdlets.Toolkit.Windows.CopyNaHostFile

Ontap 9.8

Thx

Jan

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Copy-NcHostFile with Ontap 9.8 error "SCSI command failed: Illegal request, ASC = 2"

Hi, Jan. Can you check the space-allocation option on the LUN in ONTAP? It should be set to enabled.

Re: Copy-NcHostFile with Ontap 9.8 error "SCSI command failed: Illegal request, ASC = 2"

We use a AFF220 there should space allocation disabled normaly for best deduplication.

Yes, for sure you definitely want to keep everything thin to maximize your storage efficiency and immediately realize the space savings. However, the options can be very confusing sometimes.

The space-allocation LUN option doesn't affect deduplication, it has to do with accepting SCSI T-10 thin provisioning commands such as UNMAP and similar.

Hello,

thx for answer. Which Lun need to be space-allocation enable. Source or Destination ?

How can i verify this ?

Best Regards

JJ

Cloud Volumes ONTAP
Review Banner
All Community Forums
Public