Microsoft Virtualization Discussions

Get-NcCifsPreferredDomainController Requires a Transient Connect-NcController Connection to SVM

mcgue

When I use Get-NcCifsPreferredDomainController I am having to create and use a transient connection to a cluster.  I don't have to use that for similar type cmdlets like Get-NcCifsDomainServer.  Is there something about this one that requires this SVM specific connection or is there something I should be doing different? 

1 REPLY 1

Aparajita

According to the toolkit help system, Get-NcCifsPreferredDomainController must be directed to a specific SVM whereas Get-NcCifsDomainServer can be directed to either the cluster connection or an SVM.

You can determine this behaviour by looking at the Family attribute in the output of `Get-NcCommand <cmdlet-name>` (example below).

* Family 'vserver' means the cmdlet must be directed to the SVM (either create a connection to the SVM directly or specify the Vserver parameter when connecting to the cluster or provide a value for the VserverContext parameter when running cmdlets of this family).

* Family 'cluster' means the cmdlet must be directed to the cluster (i.e. will fail if you are directly connected to an SVM).

* Family of 'cluster, vserver' means you can direct the cmdlet to either an SVM or a cluster.

PS C:\Users\aparajir\Perforce\aparajir_BTC_pstk_3\main> Get-NcCommand Get-NcCifsPreferredDomainController

Name Category Family Api
---- -------- ------ ---
Get-NcCifsPreferredDomainController cifs {vserver} {cifs-domain-preferred-dc-get-iter}

PS C:\Users\aparajir\Perforce\aparajir_BTC_pstk_3\main> Get-NcCommand Get-NcCifsDomainServer

Name Category Family Api
---- -------- ------ ---
Get-NcCifsDomainServer cifs {cluster, vserver} {cifs-domain-discovered-servers-get-iter}

Hope this helps!

Announcements
NetApp on Discord Image

We're on Discord, are you?

Live Chat, Watch Parties, and More!

Explore Banner

Meet Explore, NetApp’s digital sales platform

Engage digitally throughout the sales process, from product discovery to configuration, and handle all your post-purchase needs.

Public