Microsoft Virtualization Discussions

Invoke-NcHostVolumeSpaceReclaim not working on Windows Server 2008 R2

advuni-bm1

Hi,

our customer is not able to  reclaim space using the powershell toolkit on his cDot System using the command Invoke-NcHostVolumeSpaceReclaim.

Using the same server and toolkit version works on his 7-mode systems.

We were able to reproduce this issue in our environment, where we could see that Space Reclaimer worked using Windows Server 2012, but was not working using Windows Server 2008 R2.

Both Servers have the same Powershell Toolkit and Powershell version installed and try to reclaim space on the same Luns on the NetApp (tests werde done with ostype "windows" and "windows_2008").

We do not get any error during the reclaim process.

Versions used:

Ontap 9.3p2 and 9.1p8

Powershell Toolkit 4.5P1 and 4.2

Lun Options:

Space Reserve disabled

Space Allocation enabled

Any ideas on why this is working on Windows Server 2012 but not on Windows Server 2008 R2?

Thanks,

Benni

2 REPLIES 2

klemen_bregar

Hello!

I have the same problem in Windows 2008 R2 on CDOT systems. It works on 7-mode.

Did you found a solution for this?

Thank you!

With regards,

Klemen

advuni-bm1

Hallo,

unfortunately i don't have any solution for this but I found the explanation why it does not work in the Ontap 9 documentation:

"To leverage the benefits of SCSI thin provisioning, it must be supported by your host. SCSI thin provisioning uses the Logical Block Provisioning feature as defined in the SCSI SBC-3 standard. Only hosts that support this standard can use SCSI thin provisioning in ONTAP."

http://docs.netapp.com/ontap-9/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.netapp.doc.dot-cm-sanag%2FGUID-6AD84908-041A-497D-95A7-BB6AFDD1B282.html

Regards,

Benni

Public