Microsoft Virtualization Discussions

LUN/VM Misalignment

BOB_KOCHANSKI

Here is something interesting.  We created a new Hyper-V host a few days
ago.  Lun type is Hyper-V created in system manager.  I had no VM’s on it and
checked Perf advisor…it showed nothing for aligned or unaligned WAFL ops (makes
sense no vm’s running).  I then created a
VM which is a 2k8 R2 sp1 VM which if I understand properly is already aligned.  (I ran msinfo32 and the number was divisible
by 4096 which I read is correct).  I
wanted to see what perf advisor would then show somewhat expecting the Wafl
Unaligned to be 0%. But, it isn’t.  Is
this indicative of a problem?  Is the
unaligned WAFL Ops Graph representative of misalignment?  I thought I read it is a good indicator, but,
maybe I am misjudging the counter altogether.
If not, then I have no idea why this is misaligned at all since the Lun
type is right and the VM is correct also.

2 REPLIES 2

keitha

As long as you didn't do something funny to misalign those W28 images you should be OK. I have seen some provisioning tools mess that up. However the Unaligned counter will likely never be 0% since windows allows Application to write on 512 byte sectors so some apps and some function naturally generate misaligned IO. A little misaligned IO however is not a problem, the system can easily handle it and will not impact the performance of the VM. However large amounts of misaligned IO is BAD. What sort of a percentage are you seeing?

Keith

bernd_wolters

You can run "stats show -i 2 lun:lunname:write_align_histo" on the console  for instance to see buckets-usage and compare it with your Graphs

Regars Bernd

Announcements
NetApp on Discord Image

We're on Discord, are you?

Live Chat, Watch Parties, and More!

Explore Banner

Meet Explore, NetApp’s digital sales platform

Engage digitally throughout the sales process, from product discovery to configuration, and handle all your post-purchase needs.

NetApp Insights to Action
I2A Banner
Public