Microsoft Virtualization Discussions

MAT4SHIFT conversion issue

mjalvord

I have MAT4SHIFT set up and working properly on my system.  I have converted several Windows 2008 machines without issue.  When I attempt to convert a Windows 2012 R2 server - it gets to the part where it uninstalls the VMWare tools - but it seems to power down before the VMWare tools uninstall completes.  So the conversion fails.

I have tried it in the offline mode - and I was able to convert the machine - but it did not uninstall the vmware tools.  So it could be that the VMWare Tools uninstall is not working properly on windows 2012.  Has anyone else experienced this?

1 REPLY 1

mjalvord

I have more information about this issue.  

It seems that in Windows 2012 R2, the uninstall string for vmware tools has changed.  In 2012 and below - the string is:  MsiExec.exe /X{648D3C6F-E33E-4A1B-BB16-01509F48FB8F}, but in 2012 R2, the string is:  MsiExec.exe /X{46488CDF-4FE8-442A-8E8B-AA5615598FCF}.  I will be looking at the powershell code today to see if I can address this, but for now - what is happening is that the conversion is timing out because the vmware tools uninstall is not completing properly.

Announcements
NetApp on Discord Image

We're on Discord, are you?

Live Chat, Watch Parties, and More!

Explore Banner

Meet Explore, NetApp’s digital sales platform

Engage digitally throughout the sales process, from product discovery to configuration, and handle all your post-purchase needs.

NetApp Insights to Action
I2A Banner
Public