Microsoft Virtualization Discussions

NetApp PowerShell Toolkit 4.5P1 released!

Kartik_Gupta

Dear PowerShell community,

We are glad to announce the release of  NetApp PowerShell Toolkit version 4.5P1 This unified release has enhancements for Data ONTAP module. In this release we have made fixes for following two DataONTAP PowerShell toolkit cmdlets.

1) Invoke-NcSsh   2) Invoke-NaSsh

Prerequisites:- The user needs to install Putty of version "putty-64bit-0.70-installer" on the system from where this cmdlet is being executed.

ONTAP PowerShell Module:
The latest release adds upto 2170 cmdlets and provides maximum API coverage for ONTAP 9.3 and is backward compatible with previous ONTAP releases.

SANtricity PowerShell Toolkit
The SANtricity PowerShell module supports more than 300 cmdlets, enabling the storage administration of NetApp E-Series storage systems and EF-Series all-flash arrays.

Download the PowerShell Toolkit 4.5P1 from here

Regards,
NetApp PowerShell Toolkit Team

27 REPLIES 27

Tas

Can I beseech someone at NetApp to please ask the developers consider using MS OpenSSH instead of Putty?  Not only will it then not require non-Windows utilities, but it will also be FIPS-140 compliant.

Please?

jim_ctr_merrell

Here is a complete list of steps I have documented in order to get invoke-ncssh to work:

1) Run Powershell v5.x or higher
2) Install only the newest Powershell tools from Netapp (=> 9.x)

3) Install putty release 0.72 or newer

4) Add reg keys for (copy from valid source):
     [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\SimonTatham]
     [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\SimonTatham\PuTTY]
     [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\SimonTatham\PuTTY64]
5) Add the user to "full" control of the Putty reg keys
6) Launch PS "As Administrator" ( start-process powershell -verb RunAs )
7) Connect to the Netapp with a local account, not an Active Directory Account

DevoidB

Hello,

Could you elaborate on "Prerequisites:- The user needs to install Putty of version "putty-64bit-0.70-installer" on the system from where this cmdlet is being executed."

Assuming a default install path for the module "C:\Program Files (x86)\NetApp\NetApp PowerShell Toolkit\Modules\DataONTAP" where would I need to point my putty-64bit-0.70-installer.msi towards in order for the invoke-ncssh command to actually be able to use it?

I am receiving the following error after attempting to install putty in both default location as well as under the above default module location.

Invoke-NcSsh : The system cannot find the file specified

At line:1 char:1

+ Invoke-NcSsh "set adv -c off; statistics show-periodic -iterations 1"

+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

+ CategoryInfo : NotSpecified: (:) [Invoke-NcSsh], Win32Exception

+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception,DataONTAP.C.PowerShell.SDK.Cmdlets.Toolkit.Ssh.InvokeNcSsh

Girton

One issue I encountered on W2K12R2, even after installing Putty 64-bit V0.70, was that PowerShell kept saying:

Please install putty (version putty-64bit-0.70) on your machine to use this cmdlet.

I used SysInternal's 'Procmon.exe' utility to monitor PowerShell's access to the registry, and I saw that it was looking for this registry key:
   HKCU\SOFTWARE\SimonTatham\PuTTY64

It turned out that my W2K12R2 server didn't have a registry key called 'PuTTY64', it had 'PuTTY'.  I added '64' to the registry key, so it looked like 'PuTTY64', and then the InovkeNcSsh cmdlet worked like it was supposed to.

I suspect that I had a 32-bit version of PuTTY installed prior to installing the 64-bit version, and the registry key didn't get updated to 'PuTTY64', since it already existed.

I made sure that the permission were as described elsewhere in the thread:

All application packages: Full Control
   Users (of the local machine your on): Full Control

I hope that this information helps others who are trying to get the InovkeNcSsh cmdlet to work.

DevoidB

Just and update to this post. I was able to complete the invoke-ncssh command by making sure that I was running powershell as administrator as well as copying plink.exe was copied into my module install path (C:\Program Files (x86)\Netapp\NetApp PowerShell Toolkit\Modules\DataONTAP). This returned the output that I was looking for!

Tas

That's great, but my question is why are you using Putty and not the Windows OpenSSH?  This would be extremely usefull in closed environments, requiring FIPS-140-2 certificated OS's.

MGregM

Just updated to the version 9.12.1 and now experiencing issue with Invoke-NcSSH and receiving : Invoke-NcSSH : Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.

Public