Microsoft Virtualization Discussions

Re: NetApp PowerShell Toolkit 4.5P1 released!

One issue I encountered on W2K12R2, even after installing Putty 64-bit V0.70, was that PowerShell kept saying:

Please install putty (version putty-64bit-0.70) on your machine to use this cmdlet.

I used SysInternal's 'Procmon.exe' utility to monitor PowerShell's access to the registry, and I saw that it was looking for this registry key:
   HKCU\SOFTWARE\SimonTatham\PuTTY64

It turned out that my W2K12R2 server didn't have a registry key called 'PuTTY64', it had 'PuTTY'.  I added '64' to the registry key, so it looked like 'PuTTY64', and then the InovkeNcSsh cmdlet worked like it was supposed to.

I suspect that I had a 32-bit version of PuTTY installed prior to installing the 64-bit version, and the registry key didn't get updated to 'PuTTY64', since it already existed.

I made sure that the permission were as described elsewhere in the thread:

All application packages: Full Control
   Users (of the local machine your on): Full Control

I hope that this information helps others who are trying to get the InovkeNcSsh cmdlet to work.

Just and update to this post. I was able to complete the invoke-ncssh command by making sure that I was running powershell as administrator as well as copying plink.exe was copied into my module install path (C:\Program Files (x86)\Netapp\NetApp PowerShell Toolkit\Modules\DataONTAP). This returned the output that I was looking for!

I tried to reply to asulliva@netapp.com to register interest in Core, but his address doesn't work.  NetApp folks, is there someone else who is monitoring this now?

That's great, but my question is why are you using Putty and not the Windows OpenSSH?  This would be extremely usefull in closed environments, requiring FIPS-140-2 certificated OS's.

I am in the same boat.   Worked in 9.1p15.  Broken in 9.5p2.  Running Putty 0.71 64-bit.   Running powershell "as administrator" and setting the reg keys don't work.   I'm getting:

invoke-ncssh : An established connection was aborted by the software in your host machine.

Can I beseech someone at NetApp to please ask the developers consider using MS OpenSSH instead of Putty?  Not only will it then not require non-Windows utilities, but it will also be FIPS-140 compliant.

Please?

Forums