Microsoft Virtualization Discussions

Powershell Get-NCSnapshot timeout

dguinn

I have a script that we use at several locations to set snapmirror-labels.  Runs just fine on all my other systems, but here I'm getting an error on the Get-NCSnapshot command.

WARNING: Record doesn't exist

I've tried extending my timeout ($global:CurrentNCController.TimeoutMsec=600000), and that helped some, but I'm still getting this error.  The system I'm connecting from is on the same subnet, and I can HTTPS or SSH into the system with no delay or issue.  Running "volume snapshot show -vserver <vserver name> -volume <volume name>" via SSH runs instantly, no delay...but running "Get-NCSnapshot -vserver <vserver name> -volume <volume name>" takes forever...it will list a couple of snapshots, then give that warning message.

I'm running ONTAP 9.12.1P4, with the Powershell module version 9.13.1.2306 on Powershell 5.1, in Windows Server 2019.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

dguinn

I found a workaround fix.  I added -ZapiCall to the end of my powershell call to the NetApp, and that took care of it.  There must be something with the REST version of the call for Get-NCSnapshot that doesn't jive with ONTAP 9.12.1P4.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

dguinn

I found a workaround fix.  I added -ZapiCall to the end of my powershell call to the NetApp, and that took care of it.  There must be something with the REST version of the call for Get-NCSnapshot that doesn't jive with ONTAP 9.12.1P4.

ACandell

Thanks for this! I'm fetching timestamps of oldest and latest snapshots for each volume with these kind of calls:

Get-NcSnapshot -volume $name | Sort-Object -Property created | Select-Object -first 1 -ExpandProperty Created

Since Get-NcSnapshot now takes like a minute for *each* snapshot, a call like that would take forever.  "-ZapiCall" fixed it but I assume that just uses the old, soon to be depreciated, API so let's hope they get the PowerShell module fixed.

rafael-miranda

It also happens on ONTAP 9.10.1, but instead of the timeout I receive an error message when creating snapshots with New-NcSnapshot or querying for snapshots with Get-NcSnapshot.

Adding -ZapiCall fixed this.

Beardmann

Well... I have the same issue as described.  Only thing is that when using -ZapiCall the "SnapmirrorLabel" attribute is $null...  Then can then be "solved" using something like this:

$snaps = Get-NcSnapshot -Volume $vol -Attributes @{ "snapmirrorlabel" = ""}-ZapiCall

Then then pulls the right SnapmirrorLabel, but not much else... and I also need the "Created" attribute which for some reason I cannot get at the same time...  any ideas are very welcome..

saharsh

From the 9.15.1 release, a new parameter will be introduced: hydrate, which will allow Yes, No, Partial.

Yes, this is the default behaviour as it stands now. After a successful API call, it would fetch the full result.

No: will it pass?return_records=true in the REST API, and then it will display any fields ONTAP configured (usually just keys, but sometimes a few more).

Partial: it will be responsible for fetching only the important properties of the commandlet.

After introducing the hydrate feature, the timeout concerns will be fixed.

Public