Microsoft Virtualization Discussions

Problem using Split-NcNetPortBroadcastDomain from a script

dhepler

Hi All,

I am relatively new to PowerShell and the NetApp toolkit (using 4.0, powershell version is 4), but I am writing a script to completely automate a cluster setup for the clusters in my lab with the various settings that I want to have (only after the cluster is created and all nodes have been joined to the cluster).  I am currently having issues using the command "Split-NcNetPortBroadcastDomain" from a script or even in the CLI after having defined a variable.Here is the line as I am using it in my script:

Split-NcNetPortBroadcastDomain  -Name Default -NewName $NewBroadcastDomain -Port $BroadcastDomainPorts

And here is the error:

Split-NcNetPortBroadcastDomain : Invalid value specified for "ports" element within "net-port-broadcast-domain-split":
"node-01:e0d,node-02:e0d".
At C:\Tools\clustersetup.ps1:181 char:4
+             Split-NcNetPortBroadcastDomain  -Name Default -NewName $NewBroadcastDomain -P ...
+    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo          : InvalidOperation: (node.local:NcController) [Split-NcNetPortBroadcastDomain], EINVALIDINP
   UTERROR
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : ApiException,DataONTAP.C.PowerShell.SDK.Cmdlets.Net.SplitNcNetPortBroadcastDomain

Outside of the script I tested the command which works just fine without a variable, but as soon as I use a variable, the command fails. I am able to use the following similar commands with the same variables without issues:

Set-NcNetPortBroadcastDomain -Name Default -RemovePort $BroadcastDomainPorts

Set-NcNetPortBroadcastDomain -Name $NewBroadcastDomain -AddPort $BroadcastDomainPorts

Does anyone have any ideas? Just one last bit of info... the variable I am using is 100% for sure a string like the help says is required!

Thanks,

David

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Aparajita

Hi David,

Could you try defining the $BroadcastDomainPorts as an array instead?

$BroadcastDomainPorts = ("node-01:e0d", :node-02:e0d")

I see the man page says the Port parameter should be a String[], not a String ... On the CLI a comma seperated string is automatically treated as an array, but not so inside a script. That might be why it's working when executed directly on the CLI but fails inside the script ...

Hope this helps,

Aparajita

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Aparajita

Hi David,

Could you try defining the $BroadcastDomainPorts as an array instead?

$BroadcastDomainPorts = ("node-01:e0d", :node-02:e0d")

I see the man page says the Port parameter should be a String[], not a String ... On the CLI a comma seperated string is automatically treated as an array, but not so inside a script. That might be why it's working when executed directly on the CLI but fails inside the script ...

Hope this helps,

Aparajita

View solution in original post

dhepler

I think you may be right. I will test a bit more and let you know. Strange that the other commands did not have a problem but this one did. Thanks!

dhepler

So, after re-writing that part of my script a bit I tested using an array instead of just a [string] and it worked! Thank you!

Announcements
NetApp on Discord Image

We're on Discord, are you?

Live Chat, Watch Parties, and More!

Explore Banner

Meet Explore, NetApp’s digital sales platform

Engage digitally throughout the sales process, from product discovery to configuration, and handle all your post-purchase needs.

NetApp Insights to Action
I2A Banner
Public