Microsoft Virtualization Discussions

RPC Server Unavailable error when running the connect-nacontroller cmdlet

ryanf123

About 50% of the time, when I use the connect-nacontroller cmdlet I get the following error:

Connect-NaController : RPC Error - The RPC server is unavailable.

At line :1 char:21

+ Connect-NaController <<<<   (filername)

+ CategoryInfo               : NotSpecified: (:)  [Connect-NaController], EAPITRANSMISSION

+ FullyQualifiedErrorID : Netapp.Ontapi.Filer.ErrnoException+EAPITRANSMISSION,DataONTAP.PowerShell.SDK.ConnectNaController

Is this a problem with the cmdlet, or do I have issues with my filers? Neither is a comforting thought.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

cknight

You might try running through "cifs setup" at the filer CLI.  I have resolved RPC issues that way on rare occasions, even if nothing else appeared to have changed.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

fjohn

EAPITRANSMISSION  appears to be a connectivity issue between the host running the Data ONTAP PowerShell Tookit and the Filer.

J

ryanf123

The problem is that both the host and the filer are plugged into the same switch, and filerview and ssh connectivity are never disrupted.

cknight

You might try running through "cifs setup" at the filer CLI.  I have resolved RPC issues that way on rare occasions, even if nothing else appeared to have changed.

View solution in original post

fjohn

Once upon a time, I had a situation where I mistakedly had SnapMirror traffic going over the E0M interface.  It caused all sorts of unexpected RPC timeouts.  The Microsoft RPC Ping utility should help sort it out.

J

fjohn

I can think of quite a few things; windows firewall issues, RPC timeout issues, etc.  There's not a lot to go on here other than the error that says the packet never made it.  I'd start by getting the Microsoft RPC ping utility and quantifying RPC connectivity.

J

ryanf123

Turns out it was a time synchronization issue. Thx for the help though!

fjohn

No problem,

The maximum time skew allowed for Kerberos in Windows is 5 minutes.  Absolutely makes sense,

J

Announcements
NetApp on Discord Image

We're on Discord, are you?

Live Chat, Watch Parties, and More!

Explore Banner

Meet Explore, NetApp’s digital sales platform

Engage digitally throughout the sales process, from product discovery to configuration, and handle all your post-purchase needs.

NetApp Insights to Action
I2A Banner
Public