Microsoft Virtualization Discussions

Set-NaDiskOwner

lebedevanton

Hi folks, I am experimenting with the powershell and I wanted to set an owner on a bunch of disks.

I have about 12 disks I want to set owner to one of the controllers, so how I can put it in a script ?

should i use a text file and just include the disk ID's there, like 0c.89 and 1c.61 etc.... and then pass the file through the Set-NaDiskOwner cmdlet  ?

Thank you!

Anton

5 REPLIES 5

cknight

Hello, Anton.  You can specify the disks in various ways, including using wildcards:

All disksGet-NaDisk | Set-NaDiskOwner $controllerName

One diskGet-NaDisk 0c.89 | Set-NaDiskOwner $controllerName

All disks on a channelGet-NaDisk 0c.* | Set-NaDiskOwner $controllerName

Multiple specific disksGet-NaDisk 0c.89 1c.61 | Set-NaDiskOwner $controllerName

Unowned disksGet-NaDiskOwner -OwnershipType unowned | Set-NaDiskOwner $controllerName

As you suggest, you could also create a text file with disk names, import that into a string array, and pipe the array into Get-NaDisk.

OMARR1124

(I am not in front of my NetApp at this time )

What would be equal to this command?

disk assign -n 8

Would this work?

Get-NADisk | Select -First 8 | Set-NaDiskOwner $controllerName

I don't want to assign all of the disks in this case.

cknight

Yes, Omarr, that should work.

lebedevanton

This is perfect, thank you

fjohn

Who owns them now?

Yes, the -Name parameter expects a string.  You could create an array and pipe that to set-nadiskowner.  It's possible to be a bit more creative as well depending on what you're trying to do.  Get-nadiskowner returns objects that include a -Name property, a string, which is the name of the disk.  On set-nadiskowner, the -Name parameter accpts pipeling input bypropertyname...

Let's say that I add a new shelf and want to assign all the disks to a  specific controller, controller1:

$controller1=get-nacontroller controller1

get-nadiskowner -OwnershipType unowned | set-nadiskowner -Controller $controller1

Or perhaps I have a shelf that came from another controller and have now attached it to controller1 and wish to take ownership of all the disks with unknown ownership and assign them to controller1:

$controller1=get-nacontroller controller1

get-nadiskowner -OwnershipType Unknown | set-nadiskowner -Controller $controller1

J

Announcements
NetApp on Discord Image

We're on Discord, are you?

Live Chat, Watch Parties, and More!

Explore Banner

Meet Explore, NetApp’s digital sales platform

Engage digitally throughout the sales process, from product discovery to configuration, and handle all your post-purchase needs.

NetApp Insights to Action
I2A Banner
Public