Effective December 3, NetApp adopts Microsoft’s Business-to-Customer (B2C) identity management to simplify and provide secure access to NetApp resources.
For accounts that did not pre-register (prior to Dec 3), access to your NetApp data may take up to 1 hour as your legacy NSS ID is synchronized to the new B2C identity.
To learn more, read the FAQ and watch the video.
Need assistance? Complete this form and select “Registration Issue” as the Feedback Category.

Microsoft Virtualization Discussions

Setting a password with Set-NaUserPassword not possible when the password is longer than 16 characters.

HANSJUERGEN_KRAHMER

Hello everybody,

when I try to set a user password with the CMDlet Set-NaUserPassword, it is not possible to set a password that is longer than 16 characters. Using a password with 16 characters or less works fine. In contrast, setting a password with Set-NaUserPassword that has 17 or more characters produces no error, but a logon with that password is not possible. When I try to change that 17 characters long Password with the CLI Set-NaUserPassword -User test -OldPassword 17characters_long_password -NewPassword new_password, the command fails with the error message "Set-NaUserPassword : Password authorization failed. Error: User not authenticated".

Does anyone has an explanation of this behavior?

Thanks in advance

Hans-Juergen

1 REPLY 1

CHRIS_K_AU

Hi Hans-Juergen

There are limits to the length of local auth passwords. I have had inconsistent results authenticating via API using AD accounts with very long passwords. Local users have a maximum in the region you are using however (14-16). I don't have the references for you right now but check the man pages for options security min password length etc. The value basis depending on logon method; SSH, API etc.

Announcements
NetApp on Discord Image

We're on Discord, are you?

Live Chat, Watch Parties, and More!

Explore Banner

Meet Explore, NetApp’s digital sales platform

Engage digitally throughout the sales process, from product discovery to configuration, and handle all your post-purchase needs.

NetApp Insights to Action
I2A Banner
Public